What Is Calc
What Is Calc?
Calc is the spreadsheet component of Apache OpenOffice. You can enter data (usually numerical) in a spreadsheet and then manipulate this data to produce certain results.
Alternatively you can enter data and then use Calc in a “What if…” manner by changing some data and observing the results without having to retype the entire spreadsheet
Other features provided by Calc include:
- Functions, which can be used to create formulas to perform complex calculations on data
- Database functions, to arrange, store, and filter data
- Dynamic charts; a wide range of 2D and 3D charts
- Macros, for recording and executing repetitive tasks
- Ability to open, edit, and save Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Import and export of spreadsheets in multiple formats, including HTML, CSV, PDF, and PostScript
Spreadsheets, Sheets, and Cells
Calc works with documents called spreadsheets. Spreadsheets consist of a number of individual sheets, each sheet containing cells arranged in rows and columns. A particular cell is identified by its row number and column letter.
Cells hold the individual elements—text, numbers, formulas—that make up the data to display and manipulate.
Each spreadsheet can have many sheets, up to 256, and each sheet can have many individual cells. Each sheet can have a maximum of 1,048,576 rows and 1024 columns.
|Content on this page is licensed under the Creative Common Attribution 3.0 license (CC-BY).|