Returns the depreciation of an asset in a single period using the straight-line depreciation method.
SLN(originalcost; salvagevalue; lifetime)
- originalcost: the initial cost of the asset.
- salvagevalue: is the value at the end of the depreciation (sometimes called the salvage value of the asset).
- lifetime: the number of periods (commonly years) over which the asset is being depreciated.
- The straight-line depreciation method depreciates the asset by the same constant value every period; that value is returned by the SLN function. The formula is:
- ( originalcost - salvagevalue ) / lifetime.
SLN(14000; 4000; 5)
- returns 2000 in currency units. The asset depreciates 2000 in each of the 5 years of its working life.