Major OpenOffice.org Deployments
|OOo Marketing Project
Please view the guidelines
Strategic Marketing Plan Pages:
This page will track public information on major OpenOffice.org deployments. To add to it, include a URL or reference information of the deployment.
- The Psychiatry in the County of Aarhus in Denmark with 2,200 users on 1,100 workstations.
- City of Bergen, Norway
- Region Brussels Capital, Belgium - both government and schools
- City of Birmingham, UK
- City of Berlin 
- City of Prague: 60 MS Office desktops replaced by OpenOffice.org
- Brazil’s post office installed 14,000 copies of OpenOffice.org on new computers in January 2005, and will replace Microsoft Office with OpenOffice.org on an additional 32,000 computers nationwide. Bloomberg
- City of Bristol, UK: 5,000 desktops to StarOffice.
- More in-depth coverage by Jono Bacon at LinuxDevCenter.com
- Since 2003, Extremadura, a region of Spain, has run 80,000 Linux PCs with OpenOffice.org and a collection of other FOSS applications. OS News
- Gdańsk, Poland
- City of Haarlem, The Netherlands: 2,000 desktops moved to OpenOffice.org from Microsoft Office 97 in 2004.
- Sonneburgh foundation, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- City of Munich, Germany
- City of Mannheim, Germany
- City of Schwäbisch Hall, Germany
- Paris administrations
- French Gendarmerie: 80,000 desktop PCs, summer 2005.
- The French tax agency (Direction Générale des Impôts): 80,000 desktop PCs by the end of 2006.
- "The agency has calculated that switching its 80,000 desktops to Office XP (from MS Office 97) would cost around €29.5m, but switching to OpenOffice.org only €200,000. Although this cost is a one-off saving, Lapeyre points out that due to the need for regular upgrades it will effectively save this amount every five years."
- Groklaw interview
- French General Board of Customs
- French Ministry of Interior
- French Ministry of Equipment
- City of Largo, Florida, USA
- City of Vienna, Austria
- Postal Service South Korea
- Ministry of Defence in Singapore
- "MINDEF has already installed the OpenOffice productivity suite on 5,000 desktop computers... We hope to deploy OpenOffice on 20,000 desktop computers by the end of March 2006."
- Judicial Commission, New South Wales, Australia
- The Municipality of Sarpsborg, Norway
- Government of India is distributing millions of CDs with OOo in local languages
- Macau Productivity and Technology Transfer (CPTTM), Macau
- Belgian Federal Public Justice Service is migrating 4000 users to OpenOffice.org
- Central Bank of Republic of Turkey: Around 2000 desktops, 600 being Linux
- The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey
- Ministry of Water Resources of Turkey with 1000 desktop installations
- Directorate of İstanbul City Health has installed more than 300 desktops with OpenOffice.org 2.0
- Other case studies of migration to FOSS in Europe 
Schools and Universities
- Noxon Schools in Montana, USA: 185 desktops moved to OpenOffice in December 2005. (60 run OOo on Windows, 125 on Linux.)
- Earlham College, a Quaker college in Richmond, Indiana, upgraded all of its public computers to OpenOffice at the beginning of 2005.
- Handsworth Grammar School, Birmingham, UK - runs a GNU/Linux Thin Client network with OpenOffice as standard - since 2003.
- Bacone College in Oklahoma.
- SUNY Albany: ResNet, the campus IT services group, provides incoming students with the ResNet Software Suite CD, which includes Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, anti-spyware and anti-virus applications.
- University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy: 268 desktops in summer 2003.
- Public Schools in Portland, Oregon, USA
- Swadelands School in Kent UK
- High Schools in Chile, via Enlaces
- Mall School for boys in Richmond, UK
- The US State of Indiana will deploy up to 300,000 Linspire Linux computers with OpenOffice.org over the next few years: Linspire press release.
- University of Melbourne, Australia Distributes OpenOffice CDs to students for free or a minimal charge.
- University of the Philippines.
- Parshvanath College of Engineering, Thane, India: "Today, we have over 2,500 users on our network... Using OpenOffice.org, we have saved roughly Rs 70,000."
- The Portuguese Ministry of Education has installed 15,000 PCs in 1,000 schools with Linux and OpenOffice.org following an agreement with Sun Microsystems.
- The Hayesbrook School in Tonbridge, Kent, UK - Deployed OpenOffice 2 to over 400 Desktops & Laptops.
- Banco do Brasil plans on completely replacing Microsoft Office with OpenOffice.org and other Free Software by the end of 2006: 23,000 PCs (20% of the total) have already migrated and the rest should be migrated until the end of 2006.
- Novell with 5,000 users (most of them on Novell Linux Desktop).
- Health First: 6,000 users and 3,500 PCs.
- Migrating to Linux at Health First from Novell.
- Ernie Ball Guitars
- Bangkok Airways
- De Bortoli Wines in Australia.
- MIP Holdings New Zealand.
- LVM Insurance in Munster, Germany: 7,700 Red Hat Linux desktops.
- Health First, Inc. in Brevard County, FL, USA: Migrating 6,000 IT users on 3,500 PCs from Microsoft Office 97 to OpenOffice.org (May 2004).
- GB Engineering Ent. Pvt. Ltd India
- Kervan Gıda Turkey with 80+ desktops
Other Sectors or Tentative Deployments
- Somewhere in France: http://fr.openoffice.org/Marketing/matexpo/Documents/memoire_cnam.pdf
Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs)
C.P.T.R.T Centro de Prevencion, Tratamiento y Rehabilitacion de las Victimas de Tortura y sus Familiares
Other Similar Lists
StarOffice / StarSuite
- Bristol City Council, UK: 5,500 PCs migrated in late 2005, early 2006.
- AOL PCs (as AOL Office)
- The State of Haryana, India
- Sun Microsystems: Its 36,000 employees use StarOffice.
- Banca Popolare di Milano
- 4,500 SUSE Linux desktops with a Mozilla web browser, web client for Lotus Notes, Sun’s StarOffice suite, and a Java-based custom suite of banking applications in its 500 branch offices.
- German Monopolies Commission
- Ontario Ministry of Education
- Hong Kong Schools
- Central Singapore Community Development Council (CS CDC) ?? - no date supplied
- United India Insurance Company (UIIC) of India
- Onesource of India
- National Fertilisers of India
- Apnaloan.com of India
- San Jose State University ?
- Michigan Technological University ?
- Hamilton County School District in Tennessee ?
- Texas School for the Blind ?
- Dallas Independent School District ?