Pootle User Guide/Managing Pootle
What are Pootle admins?
Pootle admins are a few people responsible for administering the shared Pootle instance at https://translate.apache.org - they manage other people's accounts and the system itself; for "ordinary" translation activity you don't need to be a Pootle admin.
How can I join?
If you are interested in helping, please let the dev list know about it. Remember that Pootle admins have high privileges, so the admins group cannot be large.
As an admin, how do I add a user?
User requests are usually received through the l10n list and include a preferred username, a language and an Apache License statement.
To add a user:
1. Login to Pootle
2. Click on ADMIN top right
3. Select the Users tab
4. Go to the last row, fill it in with username, first name, last name, e-mail; enable the "Active" checkbox, leave all the others disabled; enter a strong random password in the password field (it will not be used, so you needn't make note of it)
5. Go back to the Pootle home page https://translate.apache.org/ and click on the language the new volunteer wishes to translate into.
6. Click on "Apache OpenOffice 4.x" then Permissions. Give the new volunteer the last 4 permissions (review, make a suggestion, submit a translation, view). Save changes.
7. Do the same for the "Apache OpenOffice 4.x Help" project.
8. Send a welcome mail CCing the l10n list. A sample mail is below.
9. The user (as per welcome mail) will reset his password so there is no need for the admin to give it to the new user.
Template welcome mail
Welcome! Account $ACCOUNT_NAME created and enabled for $LANGUAGE.
Please go to https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/ to receive your password.
A detailed Pootle guide is available at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide
If you don't want to miss announcements you should subscribe to this mailing list: send an empty e-mail message to email@example.com and respond to the confirmation request you will receive.