Welcome to OpenOffice.org! :-)
You are at the start of a long, but very exciting journey! There are many ways to get started, but the easiest one is to:
- Get the source code
- Build your own OpenOffice.org so that you are able to modify things
- Pick up your favorite bug/annoyance, and try to fix that
- When you see that hacking OOo pleases you, it's time to look for bigger tasks; there's eg. a nice list of ideas originally planned for GSoC
More info about developing OOo is here:
- Participating in OpenOffice.org - Programming
- Getting started with OOo development
- OpenOffice.org for Developers
If you don't find the instructions in the Wiki good enough to guide you, feel free to subscribe and ask on the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list. If you are interested in some aspect that is not covered, ask the mailing list as well :-) - we'll guide you where to find people who will be able to answer your questions. Lots of developers also hang on IRC - join #dev.openoffice.org on irc.freenode.net.
Another solution is to contact the Education Project, who aims to find future OpenOffice.org developers, mainly students, who are discovering OpenOffice.org Project. IRC dedicated Education Project channel is : #education.openoffice.org , server : irc.freenode.net
And if you think you can help fixing some bugs , please have a look at the Effort page
We are looking forward to your contribution!