From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
To-Dos and potential To-Dos.
- Move documentation from http://udk.openoffice.org into the Uno wiki, see Uno/Effort/Migrate Documentation for details.
- the C Uno runtime is implemented in C++,
- a C++ Uno runtime would be stacked on top of C Uno,
- there is no living C language binding,
- the C++ Uno runtime offers various functions for bootstrapping Uno, which are not yet available for Binary Uno.
- Upper level modules headers may not be used, until they are delivered, even if they are self contained.
Some of the obvious tasks are:
- Move C++ stuff from udk/cppu to udk/cppuhelper.
- Move udk/cppuhelper bootstrap stuff to Binary Uno and let it provide a 'C' interface. Implement current udk/cppuhelper API as wrappers.
- Move udk/cppuhelper/source/shlib.cxx into the library loader (udk/stoc/source/loader). Let the library loader provide a C/C++ API. Note, this is not as easy as it may sound, because the module udk/stoc already depends on the module udk/cppuhelper, which than would depend on module udk/stoc stoc again.
- Move udk/cppuhelper/source/component_context.cxx into into its own core component in udk/stoc.
- Move the module udkapi/api from API project into the Uno project.
- Fix udk/cli_ure dependency against api/offapi.
- Fix udk/cpputools dependency against api/offuh.
- Move the module util/io from the util project into the Uno project.
- Move the module udk/jut/util into the Uno project.
- Query for Uno bugs
Naming / Clean up
- Rename module udk/cppu to reflect that it is implementing the Binary Uno runtime.
- Rename module udk/cppuhelper to reflect that it is implementing the C++ Uno runtime.
- Rename the Binary Uno to JNI (Jave Native Interface) bridge: java_uno -> jni_uno. Because that is what the bridge is about.
- Rename the Binary Uno to Remote Uno bridge: urp_uno -> remote_uno. Because that is what the bridge is about (actually, there is no URP object to program against, at least not in Binary Uno).
- Remove the "lib" prefixes under UNIX from the Binary Uno bridges.
- Rename udk/cpputools to something like "unotools" (unfortunately this name is already in use).
- Mark SAL_IMPLEMENT_MAIN_WITH_ARGS as deprecated, the right way to deal with args are the RTL command line arg functions, see porting/sal/inc/rtl/process.h
Simplification and Performance
- Remove the Binary Uno Object Binary Interface (OBI) (struct uno_Interface) and friends, replace it with one of the platform C++ OBIs.
- Support direct access of Uno types in Uno IDL, without includes.
- Let the *makers retrieve type information from the type providers and not from rdb files.
- Harmonize initial object access for Remote Uno and components -> it is actually the same. E.g.
"uno:library;[gcc3];<implementation name>"may be used to access an instance factory, or any other object of interest.
- Leverage Purpose Bridges for global variables, e.g. the "ServiceManager" or the "ComponentContext". Use this for bootstrapping as well. E.g.
Reference<XComponentContext> cppu::getComponentContext();always returns the current component context. It is usable in components, libraries or applications and may even bootstrap Uno, if no context is available yet.
- Remove all exception specifications.
- Consolidate the Binary Uno structs "uno_Environment" and "uno_ExtEnvironment".
#ifndef EXCEPTIONS_OFFmacros, actually C++ Uno is not usable without exceptions anyway.
- Is SAL_CALL really necessary for "inline" stuff? If not, remove it.
- Unify command line interface for all Uno tools.
- Convert the ProxyFactory service into a library and deprecate it.
- Introduce process lifecycle based on living threads.
- Have Uno package support for the URE.
- Move the UCB into the URE.
- Move the configr mgr. into the URE.
- Move the most useful helpers from comphelper into the URE.
- Uno alien type support e.g. for Java (e.g. a type description provider implemented in Java based on Java reflection).
- A Uno-SOAP Bridge. Some considerations
- Allow (remote) proxy detection, needed for remote detection and optimizations.
- Write a DBUS bridge.
- Various IDE integrations.
- Allow connection parameters in environment descriptions for remote environments, e.g.
- Bridge the interface gap e.g. of Java and C++ Uno - AKA know as "smart mapping".
- Graphical and Command line tool for registry data modification.
- COM Bridge
- CORBA Bridge Concept Paper
- Logging support
- Exceptions with Stack Traces
- Issue 75053: Language binding support for service contstructors
- API Tests - Help implement API tests.