Creating an alphabetic index
An alphabetical index (referred to as an index) is a list of keywords or phrases used throughout a document that, if listed in order, may help the reader find information quickly. Generally an index is found in the back of book or document and lists several keywords or phrases in alphabetical order with page numbers.
This section describes how to:
- Add index entries
- Create an alphabetic index quickly
- Customize the display of index entries
- Customize the appearance of an index
- View and edit existing index entries
Adding index entries
Before you create an index, you must create some index entries.
- Either highlight the word or phrase to add to the index or place the cursor at the beginning of the word or phrase. (If you want to add multiple words as one entry it will generally be better to highlight the entire phrase.)
- Click Insert > Indexes and Tables > Entry to display a dialog box similar to that shown below. You can accept the word or phrase shown in the Entry box or change it to whatever you want. If you placed the cursor at the beginning of a word, clicking on the Entry text box inserts the word into the text box.
- Click Insert to create the entry.
See Customizing index entries for an explanation of the fields on this dialog box.
- When you are satisfied with the entries, click Close.
You can create multiple entries without closing the dialog box. For each one:
- Click at the location in the document that you want to index.
- Click again on the dialog box.
- Change the entry if needed, and click Insert.
- Repeat steps 1–3 until you have finished with the entries, then click Close.
|You can also open the Insert Index Entry dialog box by clicking the Entry icon on the Insert toolbar, as shown below.|
Creating an alphabetic index quickly
Now that you have some index entries, you can create the index.
Although indexes can be customized extensively in Writer, most of the time you need to make only a few choices. To create an index quickly:
- Click in the document where you want to add the index and click Insert > Indexes and Tables > Indexes and Tables.
- In the Type box on the Index/Table page, select Alphabetical Index.
- In the Options section, you may want to uncheck Case sensitive (so that capitalized and lower-case words are treated as the same word) and uncheck Combine identical entries with p or pp.
- Click OK. The result will be a typical index.
Writer does not update an index automatically. If you add, delete, or change the text of index entries, you need to update the index. To do this, follow the steps outlined in Updating a table of contents.
Content on this page is licensed under the Creative Common Attribution 3.0 license (CC-BY).