OpenOffice.org Base is the database application of OpenOffice.org, similar to Microsoft Access. Base allows the creation and manipulation of databases and the building of forms and reports to provide easy access to data for end-users. As with Access, Base is able to work as a front-end to a variety of database systems, including Access databases (JET), ODBC data sources, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.
Base was not available in the 1.x versions of OpenOffice.org, becoming part of the suite starting with version 2.0. Base enables you to manipulate database data seamlessly within OpenOffice.org. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, either using your own database or Base’s own built-in HSQLDB database engine. Base offers a choice of using Wizards, Design Views, or SQL Views for beginners, intermediate, and advanced users.
With Base, you can:
- Create new tables for your data - and also change them as your needs change
- Maintain indexes on the tables to make data access faster
- View a table in an editing grid and add, change, and delete records
- Use the Report Wizard to produce impressive reports from your data
- Use the Form Wizard to create 'instant' database applications
Using Base, you can not only browse your data, but also:
- Perform simple (single column) or complex (multi-column) sorts
- View subsets of your data with simple (one-click) or complex (logical query) filters
- Create powerful queries to show your data in new ways, including summaries and multi-table views
- Produce reports
- The Base module includes the Report Wizard for creating quick tabular reprts
- With Version 2.3 the SUN Report Builder is available as an extension for more complex reporting needs
- Base allows you to extend it's functionality via built in scripting capabilities
For more advanced requirements, Base supports many popular databases database natively (Adabas D, ADO, Microsoft Access, MySQL), or any database through industry-standard ODBC and JDBC drivers. It also supports any LDAP compliant address book, as well as common formats such as Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Windows, and Mozilla.
- Getting Started with Base on the wiki.
- http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0110GS-GettingStartedWithBase.pdf (link 404s) Getting started with Base as single PDF file.
- OOo2 User Guide as single PDF file.
- Andrew Pitonyak's Base documents
- Tutorials on using ooBase from Sheepdog Guides
- Connecting with non-embedded databases
- Working with reports
Wiki Articles and more
- The embedded data engine HSQLdb
- SUN Report Builder
- DesktopLinux.com article April 2007[Chris Preimesberger]
- Base Query functions
- Working with MS Access files
- Standard Distributed Schema
- Bibliographic Database
- A club membership database
- DerbyToursDB User:HCPotter
- Specification Documents
- Base New Driver Tutorial
- Logging JDBC Activity new feature 2.?
- the mailto and owner would need to be changed appropriately
- Maintainer: Base page Drew 21:01, 11 September 2007 (CEST)
- This page is under CC by-sa since 2009-02-02
- Please do not change the logical content of this site without acknowledge of the author or the OOo QA Project Lead/Co-Leads.
|Content on this page is licensed under the Creative Common Attribution 3.0 license (CC BY-SA).|