Overview / Goal
From an email exchange with Christoph Lukasiak:
One idea I have is to setup a Google Custom Search Engine - linked from a computer within the services.openoffice.org domain - create a page ( as a template and custom mode for either MediaWiki or some other CM package ) that would allow a registered wiki user to designate content for inclusion in the search from multiple sources. The search engine should be written to include more then just the few wikis available, there are numerous Forums for instance, a few portals and a growing number of blogs.See http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:DrewJensen/User_services_Forums_Survey for a quick start on a list, minus blogs.
Most of the users are multi-lingual, at least the ones that don't speak English as their first language. Those that are should be able to designate content sources in languages other then English. For those that are mono-lingual, they could set their configuration to just that language.
There should also be some pre-defined search engines for use by unregistered users. For instance there should be a CSE definition that would limit, or increase the weighting, for pages designated as being end user oriented. Another for a core / extension developer orientation, while a third somewhat blended definition for a 'Office Guru' individual - the one that is looking for tips and tricks, customization and scripting.
Users should be able to select one or more of the pre-defined CSE definitions and add or detract from it to meet their needs. Drew 20:42, 13 September 2007 (CEST)
Google Custom Search Engine
The idea is to generate CSE definition files on the fly. These would be constructed based on the preferences set by the user, or as defaults for special types of users.
- unregistered user
- All content( default language - English )
- All content w/Language ( user selected not retained )
- Specific content sets
- End User
- All ( Manuals, wiki pages, forum posts, additional )
- All ( spec guids ( if available ), wiki, forum, additional )
- Core / Extensions
- Other content ( docs, help files )
- End User
Question: If the current oo.o mail lists are not being indexed by google I know that some mail repositories that archive the lists are. Need to see what the best way to handle mail list lsits.
The google CSE also allows the results to be weighted within these on the fly definitions.
Additional the CSE can allow additional search phrases to be added, to help narrow results for less experienced users.
- Current forum packages support addition of site specific user configuration information.
- Looking at the configuration pages for the wiki, it seems that group roles are not actually being used - they are supported, and can be customized, including the addition of extended (definable) group configuration items.
- Possibly something to bring up at the website mailing list, as they plan for the mediawiki upgrade?