In this topic goes everything related to configuring the server for surveying.
Basic server setup
- PHP 4.4 or higher
- Database: mysql
First setup steps
- Establish the location of the htdocs directory for surveys. Also create a non_public folder.
- Configure mysql for usage: setup mysql root access and password. Create mysql user for applications. Restrict access to _localhost_.
- Identify and setup a CMS for the website
- Setup survey program
Things to discuss further:
- Shall we use CVS for placing everything under the _htdocs_ folder ?
CristianDriga - 13 Sep 2005
Today's journal - server config (Sep 14th)
- Apache - enabled PHP scripting
- httpd.conf - added index.php to Directory Index directive
- created new Apache htdocs directory: /ooodata/surveys/public_html
- httpd.conf - changed Document Root to point to the new folder
- mysql - re-initialized the mysql server after yesterday's initial tests.
- make mysql start at boot time; set mysql root password; create mysql users for applications.
-- CristianDriga - 14 Sep 2005
12-10-2005 Made MySQL start/stop on boot
1. Edited startup file: S50mysql.server
- Changed basedir and default variables to point to the current mysql files and data
- basedir=[/folder/here/] -> folder where mysql /bin and /sbin subfoders are located
- datadir= -> to point to the current data directory
- bindir= -> actually pointed it to mysql's /sbin directory as there is the startup program located
2. created my.cnf file in /etc containing:
[server] basedir=[/folder/here/] -> folder where mysql /bin and /sbin subfoders are located
3. copied S50mysql.server file to /etc/init.d
4. copy my_print_defaults to /bin
- cp /usr/sfw/bin/my_print_defaults /bin
5. Symlink S50mysql.server file to startup and shutdown services folders:
- ln /etc/init.d/S50mysql.server /etc/rc3.d/S99mysql
- ln /etc/init.d/S50mysql.server /etc/rc0.d/K01mysql
-- CristianDriga - 18 Oct 2005