OOoConf 2007 Call for Location
DRAFT OOoCon 2007 Call for Location
Dear OpenOffice.org community members,
The annual OpenOffice.org Conference continues to go from strength to strength, with this year's glittering event in Lyon, France attracting over 600 registrations and enjoying a civic reception laid on by the Mayor of Lyon in the historic town hall.
Can your team do even better next year?
We are collecting applications from teams who are willing to organize OOoCon 2007. To give you an idea about what we are looking for, you can take a look at last year's proposals:
Interested teams should send their applications to the mailing list mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org following the guidelines below.
In 400 words or less, answer this question:
- Why is your location and the date you propose the best for OOoCon 2007?
Your proposal MUST include
- Location (country, city, conference center/university)
- Proposed Date(s)
- Team Lead (main contact person)
- Team Members (all members should be willing and able to commit at least 3 hours per day to planning the conference during the last two weeks before OOoCon 2007)
- Local events that are taking place in parallel (or right before/after)
- Special visa or entry requirements, e.g. vaccinations
Your proposal COULD include
- Large local OpenOffice.org deployments (for user keynotes and success stories)
- Names of local OpenOffice.org developers (for developer sessions)
- Names of local OpenOffice.org vendors/partners (potential sponsors)
- Travel costs (e.g. flight costs from the following cities: London, Paris, Rome, Beijing, Sydney, New York, Hamburg, Dublin, San Francisco, Cape Town, Tokyo)
- Accomodation costs (youth hostel, hotel)
User feedback from previous conferences suggest that the ideal location will:
- have a strong local OpenOffice.org community
- attract strong sponsor support
- have a low-cost/free conference centre with conference venues close together
- have facilities where people can pass the time, socialise, and mingle with other conference delegates close to the conference building(s)
- have a range of low-cost accomodation with easy/cheap transport to the conference location
- attract the largest number of community contributers
- be near enough to allow the attendance of a large number of Sun's OpenOffice.org developers (who are in Hamburg, Germany)
- be accessible by cheap flight and train tickets
- be aligned with a large IT event (e.g. CeBIT, Systems, Comdex)
- provide low-cost broadband Internet access (e.g. wireless LAN in the rooms)
- allow for video and audio streaming (e.g. via the support of a company)
Submitting a Proposal
The deadline for submissions is December 31, 2006. Shortly after that date we will publish the applications and call for votes from community members.
Information about the last three OpenOffice.org Conferences can be found at:
Thank you and good luck with your proposals!
The OpenOffice.org Conference Team