Log Mac Meeting 26 Jan 2007

From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Return to Mac meetings January 2007

paveljanik: shaunmcdonald: ok, lets start

[21:21] shaunmcdonald: paveljanik: +1 http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Port_Meetings

[21:21] shaunmcdonald: Not many points today

[21:21] shaunmcdonald: 1. Welcome new devs (if any)

[21:24] shaunmcdonald: plipli: are you a new ooo developer?

[21:24] plipli: yes, thanks you for the welcome

[21:24] plipli: member:shaunmcdonald: i begin by working on salatslayout

[21:25] shaunmcdonald: plipli: would you like to give a little introduction about who you are, what you know, and how you can help?

[21:25] ericb2: plipli: you are developer for true in the real life, aren't you ?

[21:26] ericb2: plipli: shoot

[21:27] plipli: I m 32, married 1 daughter and soon a second daughter. I m software engineer at SNCF

[21:27] plipli: i know C, C++, Java, XML, XSL, C#

[21:28] tino: What is SNCF btw?

[21:28] plipli: i never coded for MacOSX althought i ve been using MacOS for a long time

[21:28] plipli: French Railway

[21:28] tino: thx

[21:29] ericb2: plipli: be welcome on Mac OS X port

[21:29] plipli: thx happy to be here

[21:29] ismael_: plipli: welcome

[21:29] paveljanik: welcome and don't hesitate to ask everyone on this channel

[21:29] tino: Welcome!

[21:30] shaunmcdonald: or through the mailing list mac@porting.openoffice.org

[21:30] mav_eric: welcome

[21:31] ericb2: plipli: the part you started to work for is a difficult part, because we have not to much documentation. My first advice would be : for fonts, contact hdu (hdu@openoffice.org ) is not a bad idea

[21:31] plipli: I m very enthusiast about working on OO Aqua port, hope i ll have enough time

[21:31] ericb2: plipli: hdu means Herbert Duerr

[21:31] ericb2: plipli: like we are to see new people joining the team

[21:31] plipli: does he know the font on ATSUI ? or in the OO system ?

[21:32] tino: He is mister "Font"

[21:32] ericb2: plipli: he is a great font specialist

[21:32] tino: The one and only OOo Font expert!

[21:32] plipli: ok i ll ask hil to teach me the basics

[21:32] ericb2: plipli: he just has too much work

[21:33] tino: ericb2: Yes because as I said he's the only OOo font expert

[21:34] ericb2: plipli: you told me you arelady built aqua version, right ?

[21:34] plipli: yes

[21:34] ericb2: plipli: good, so the wiki page helps

[21:34] plipli: i relaunched it, and try to type some text, but background is grey...

[21:35] ericb2: plipli: resize it

[21:35] plipli: the wiki is very well made

[21:35] plipli: it really helped me to build the version, svdem and beginlook at code

[21:36] ericb2: plipli: thanks for the people who are maintaining the wiki.

[21:36] plipli: my G4 took a long time to build but it worked !

[21:36] shaunmcdonald: plipli: do you have ccache installed?

[21:36] plipli: yes

[21:36] shaunmcdonald: plipli: great, that should save some time on builds

[21:37] plipli: i followed all the wiki advices,

[21:37] mav_eric: plipli: so the build instructions on the wiki work?

[21:37] plipli: the entire aqua build must have taken about 15 hours

[21:37] plipli: mav_eric: yes

[21:37] shaunmcdonald: plipli: that would sound about right

[21:38] shaunmcdonald: plipli: I know some people with G4 laptops where the build has taken around 24 hours

[21:38] mav_eric: plipli: thanks. I just did some changes and corrections to them but I wasn't sure if I deleted or forgot something important

[21:39] shaunmcdonald: plipli: My MacBook takes between 4 and 12 hours for builds

[21:39] plipli: mav_eric: i ll tell you if i find some missing or mistakes. but i don t remember having done womething different from what the wiki said about build

[21:40] shaunmcdonald: plipli: you can update the wiki if you find any problems with the instructions there

[21:40] mav_eric: plipli: thanks. ericb2 and/or shaunmcdonald also took a look so it should be ok

[21:41] cloph: oobuildbot: watch MacPort2

[21:41] oobuildbot: watching build MacPort2 #33 until it finishes..

[21:41] IZBot: Installation DEFECT CLOSED WORKSFORME Installation don't work, I do not get an Error Message http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=33

[21:41] plipli: mav_eric: ok

[21:42] ericb2: plipli: as you can see, we often use isuezilla

[21:42] ericb2: plipli: and just give issue followed by number

[21:42] ericb2: plipli: and IZBot returns the URL

[21:42] plipli: ericb2: i dont know issuezilla but i ll learn

[21:43] cloph: Did ooobuildbot's IP change?

[21:44] shaunmcdonald: cloph: why?

[21:44] cloph: IZBot: admin ignore oobuildbot

[21:45] cloph: shaunmcdonald: Because IZbot didn't ignore it...

[21:45] • cloph forgot the add...

[21:45] cloph: IZBot: admin ignore add oobuildbot

[21:45] IZBot: The operation succeeded.

[21:45] shaunmcdonald: • shaunmcdonald sees it now

[21:45] cloph: ooobuildbot on termite was the one with underscore, now without...

[21:45] ericb2: plipli: we use bots for build too

[21:45] shaunmcdonald: cloph: it would appear that oobuildbot_ has turned into oobuildbot as the old master has been removed

[21:46] ericb2: Other new dev around ?

[21:46] plipli: ericb2:have you an example of code for testing salatslayout ?

[21:46] cloph: shaunmcdonald: Yes, that changed the hostmasks of the ignore entries.. Now IZBot will no longer try to find issues to build-IDs

[21:46] shaunmcdonald: cloph: the last time I heard mikeleib was working on updating the build master to the newer version of buildbot, which has some better features in it

[21:47] shaunmcdonald: cloph:

[21:48] ericb2: plipli: no.the current salatslayout.cxx file contains the foundations, but there is old code inside, who needs to be replaced

[21:48] ericb2: plipli: just the basics are used currently

[21:48] ericb2: plipli: this is the most important part (if I'm not wrong ) of code to be written

[21:48] plipli: ericb2: ok i restart with new code. i m looking for example of how to all it to test it

[21:49] ericb2: plipli: the windows implementation should help

[21:49] plipli: ericb2 : do u know where i can find call to layouttext in windows implementation ?

[21:49] ericb2: plipli: don't forget to document what you are doing in parallel, using the wiki

[21:50] ericb2: plipli: I think ini win section, in vcl

[21:50] ericb2: plipli: yes : vcl/win/source/gdi/winlayout.cxx

[21:51] ericb2: plipli: of course, the API is not the same, but the functions are close

[21:51] plipli: ericb2: yes it is the example i follow to code the methods, but i wanted to see example of vcl calling those methods

[21:52] ericb2: plipli: FYI, I wrote that a long time ago : http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Fonts_starting_point_and_documentation

[21:53] plipli: ericb2: great

[21:53] tino: plipli: One method to find out is to have a e.g. Windows build and then use the debugger, set breakpoints in the functions you are interested in and see who is calling them

[21:53] ericb2: plipli: I don't know how to do, except using a Windows build + Windows SDK and debugger

[21:54] ericb2: plipli: maybe use Linux instead, less costly and more easy to use

[21:54] tino: plipli: This is unfortunately the way to go for OOo development

[21:54] plipli: ericb2: ok, for the moment i have only macosx on ppc at home, so i ll try this method at work

[21:55] tino: ericb2: Linux has not so comfortable debugging tools as Windows has (unfortunately)

[21:55] ericb2: tino: I'm not sure, Linux is modern too

[21:55] ericb2: tino: some k environment ?

[21:55] ericb2: tino: kdevelop or so ?

[21:55] tino: ericb2: When it comes to debugging there is almost not real competitor to Windows

[21:56] ericb2: tino: sure

[21:56] ericb2: tino: XCode did some progress too

[21:56] tino: ericb2: Sorry that I have to say that but no platform proved me wrong so far

[21:57] tino: ericb2: Yes XCode (if it works) is a good front-end to gdb!

[21:57] tino: ericb2: But even a bit slow when such heavy-weight apps like OOo come along

[21:57] ericb2: Other new devs around ?

[21:58] tino: Yes me

[21:58] ericb2: tino: he he

[21:58] tino: Ok, not really new but very active again after a long period of time

[21:59] ericb2: tino: and Stephan Bergmann, Daniel Boelzle and Pavel Janik + you did a great work !

[21:59] ericb2: tino: thanks

[22:00] tino: You're welcome

[22:00] ericb2: tino: I was a bit afraid with the amount of changes

[22:00] oobuildbot: Hey! build MacPort2 #33 is complete: Failure [failed compile]

[22:00] oobuildbot: Build details are at http://termite.go-oo.org/MacPort2/builds/33

[22:00] tino: I'm happy that we finally get this chunk of work done and now can move on to the next adventures

[22:01] tino: s/get/got/

[22:01] ericb2: so let's go

[22:01] ericb2: Last aqua news ?

[22:01] tino: yes

[22:02] paveljanik: tino: http://termite.go-oo.org/MacPort2/builds/33/step-compile/4

[22:02] tino: paveljanik: Did we swing too early

[22:03] ericb2: last aqua news are : Top 10 is started

[22:03] mav_eric: tino: looks like

[22:03] paveljanik: who manages macport2?

[22:03] mav_eric: me

[22:03] paveljanik: please do not remove the treee....

[22:03] tino: paveljanik: Why didn't we see this problem? I built from scratch

[22:04] paveljanik: me too.

[22:04] paveljanik: mav_eric: what gcc do you use?

[22:04] mav_eric: paveljanik: gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)

[22:05] paveljanik: mav_eric: I have the asme.

[22:05] tino: paveljanik: I use gcc 4.0.1

[22:05] mav_eric: paveljanik: the tree will be removed automaticly if someone starts a new build

[22:05] mav_eric: paveljanik: I can take macport2 offline

[22:05] paveljanik: mav_eric: so stop buildbot please.

[22:06] mav_eric: paveljanik: done

[22:06] paveljanik: mav_eric: do you have this line in this file in cppuhelper?

[22:06] paveljanik: unxmacxi.pro/misc/gcc3_linux_intel_uno_cppuhelpergcc3.map.exported-symbols:__ZTIN4cppu11OWeakObjectE

[22:07] mav_eric: paveljanik: sorry to ask but where do I find cppuhelper?

[22:07] paveljanik: mav_eric: it is a toplevel source directory

[22:07] mav_eric: paveljanik: got it

[22:08] paveljanik: mav_eric: in your log, I see this:

[22:08] paveljanik: m: can't open file: ../unxmacxi.pro/slo/typeprovider.o (No such file or directory)

[22:08] paveljanik: nm: can't open file: ../unxmacxi.pro/slo/exc_thrower.o (No such file or directory)

[22:08] paveljanik: nm: can't open file: ../unxmacxi.pro/slo/servicefactory.o (No such file or directory)

[22:08] paveljanik: nm: can't open file: ../unxmacxi.pro/slo/bootstrap.o (No such file or directory)

[22:08] paveljanik: nm: can't open file: ../unxmacxi.pro/slo/implbase.o (No such file or directory)

[22:08] paveljanik: nm: can't open file: ../unxmacxi.pro/slo/implbase_ex.o (No such file or directory)

[22:08] paveljanik: why?

[22:08] mav_eric: paveljanik: I don't know

[22:08] mav_eric: paveljanik: I started the build via the website

[22:09] paveljanik: mav_eric: can you run build in cppuhelper again?

[22:09] paveljanik: and deliver and then build in ucbhelper again?

[22:09] shaunmcdonald: paveljanik: is this the anoncvs issue again?

[22:09] shaunmcdonald: mav_eric: remember to source the environmnet first

[22:09] mav_eric: paveljanik: yes

[22:10] mav_eric: shaunmcdonald: yes I know?

[22:10] shaunmcdonald: mav_eric: I've forgotten many a time

[22:10] ismael_: bye

[22:10] paveljanik: mav_eric: looks like something removed some files from your build

[22:10] paveljanik: (during the build)

[22:10] plipli: good night, bye

[22:10] paveljanik: night

[22:11] paveljanik: mav_eric: is it a parallel build?

[22:11] ericb2: plipli: good night

[22:11] mav_eric: paveljanik: yes.

[22:11] ismael_ left the chat room.

[22:11] mav_eric: paveljanik: According to Shaun parallel builds now work with buildbot

[22:12] paveljanik: mav_eric: interesting. Can you (after we realise it work for uni build) restart it in uni mode?

[22:12] shaunmcdonald: mav_eric: they were broke again with one of the other CWS that were integrated

[22:12] paveljanik: maybe the dependencieas are wrong in cppuhelper...

[22:13] mav_eric: paveljanik: no luck

[22:13] mav_eric: paveljanik: ld: Undefined symbols:

[22:13] mav_eric: __ZTIN4cppu11OWeakObjectE

[22:13] mav_eric: dmake: Error code 1, while making '../unxmacxi.pro/lib/libucbhelper3gcc3.dylib'

[22:13] mav_eric: '---* tg_merge.mk *---'

[22:13] mav_eric: ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/ooobuild/buildbot_ooo/macintel_aqua/macintel_aqua/build/ucbhelper/util

[22:15] tino: paveljanik: Why cppuhelper and not ucbhelper?

[22:15] paveljanik: mav_eric: you build && deliver in cppuhelper before?

[22:15] mav_eric: yes I did

[22:16] mav_eric: paveljanik: and I switched back to one processor only

[22:16] mav_eric: paveljanik: now it works

[22:16] mav_eric: paveljanik: the trick was to not use ccache

[22:17] tino: mav_eric: This calms me! Back into the swinging mode

[22:17] mav_eric: tino:

[22:17] plipli left the chat room.

[22:17] mav_eric: o.k. may I try another build with one processor only?

[22:17] cloph: But that let's me wonder why ccache does fail...

[22:18] ericb2: for the fun :

[22:18] paveljanik: I wonder why nm: can't open file: ../unxmacxi.pro/slo/implbase_ex.o (No such file or directory)

[22:18] paveljanik: were printed...

[22:19] tino: paveljanik: This indeed strange

[22:20] dave_largo left the chat room. ("Client exiting")

[22:20] cloph: ericb2: Wow, you're ahead - aquavcl14 already

[22:20] shaunmcdonald: oobuildbot: watch MacPort2

[22:20] paveljanik: tino: it was compiled *after* running nm on it

[22:20] oobuildbot: there are no builds currently running

[22:21] ericb2: cloph: just aquavcl01 + m200

[22:21] shaunmcdonald: oobuildbot: watch MacPort1

[22:21] oobuildbot: watching build MacPort1 #101 until it finishes [4h34m36s]..

[22:21] paveljanik: tino: cppuhelper/util is not in the prj/build.lst...

[22:21] cloph: • cloph 's tinderbox build is in vcl currently, so passed cppuhelper and ucbhelper already

[22:21] ericb2: • ericb2 notes the anchor is upside down

[22:21] cloph: ericb2: I mean the folder on your desktop

[22:21] tino: paveljanik: But that's not my fault

[22:22] paveljanik: tino: yes :-))

[22:22] ericb2: cloph:

[22:22] tino: paveljanik: Though a serious issue

[22:22] paveljanik: yes.

[22:22] paveljanik: mav_eric: please file an issue to me.

[22:22] paveljanik: it will be fixed in other cws

[22:23] mav_eric: with which content?

[22:23] tino: paveljanik: Ok

[22:23] paveljanik: mav_eric: with the messages pasted above, subject: parallael build failure in cppuhelper.

[22:23] paveljanik: I reproduced it here.

[22:23] paveljanik: tino: just run rm -rf unxmacxi.pro/; build -P4 -- -P4 in cppuhelper

[22:24] tino: all: Do we still have some other hot topic on the agenda for todays meeting?

[22:24] cloph: Hmm - /me builds with -P3 - so he was lucky apparently...

[22:24] mav_eric: • mav_eric must now save the output because the terminal hasn't got it any longer

[22:24] ericb2: tino: yes

[22:24] cloph: or it is the makefile parallelism...

[22:24] tino: paveljanik: Just have an aquavcl01 build running...

[22:24] mav_eric: cloph: or another Intel only issue

[22:24] tino: paveljanik: Which stresses my machine...

[22:25] paveljanik: tino: never mind - my machine is running complete release tests, building aquavcl01, checking out m4 and m201 and building cppuhelper parallely

[22:26] ericb2: • ericb2 notes mmeeks is flooding planet

[22:26] shaunmcdonald: cloph: remember there is a difference between build -PX and export MAXPROCESS=X

[22:26] • shaunmcdonald is building macosxmapfiles

[22:27] ericb2: can we continue the meeting ?

[22:27] tino: all: Ok what else for todays meeting?

[22:27] cloph: shaunmcdonald: That's what I meant with makefile-parallelism

[22:27] cloph: the --P4 is makefile level, the -P4 is module-level

[22:27] shaunmcdonald: • shaunmcdonald hadn't read that far when he wrote his message

[22:29] ericb2: Last aqua news ?

[22:30] ericb2: Top 10 : 10 issues to fix before we provide a public Aqua version

[22:30] shaunmcdonald: ericb2: that's a good point

[22:30] ericb2: to retrieve them, ' aqua ' keyword can be used

[22:30] ericb2: just go here : http://www.openoffice.org/issues/query.cgi

[22:30] ericb2: enter aqua as keyword and you're done

[22:30] ericb2: I'll blog about that

[22:31] shaunmcdonald: ericb2: once these 10 items have been sorted we will release an alpha version to the public

[22:31] ericb2: shaunmcdonald: exactly

[22:31] ericb2: shaunmcdonald: I know people very interested to see

[22:31] shaunmcdonald: • shaunmcdonald me too

[22:31] cloph: You can use http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?keywords=aqua as well

[22:32] ericb2: cloph: sure

[22:32] tino: BTW: The vcl crashes when compiled with debug...did Stephan ever talked to Christian Lippka about that?

[22:32] ericb2: tino: I think so

[22:32] tino: ericb2: Result?

[22:32] ericb2: tino: I have no other info

[22:33] tino: ericb2: I will see if I can get some infos next week

[22:33] ericb2: tino: ok, thanks

[22:33] tino: ericb2: This is the perfect issue for Joerg Barfurth

[22:33] ericb2: tino: really ?

[22:34] tino: ericb2: I think so, I will ask him

[22:34] paveljanik: I suspect this is a compiler bug...

[22:34] ericb2: paveljanik: or boost ?

[22:34] paveljanik: compiler.

[22:34] ericb2: paveljanik: I believe you

[22:34] paveljanik: anyone tried to compile and test aqua on PPC?

[22:35] ericb2: paveljanik: not yet : my powerbook currently builds Linux PPC / m200

[22:35] ericb2: paveljanik: but I 'll try. Stupid I am to never have tested that

[22:35] shaunmcdonald: paveljanik: sorry my iBook needs a new motherboard

[22:36] paveljanik: I'll test it on my Mini tomorrow.

[22:36] ericb2: some of those issues are less hard to fix than other. The two most important are fonts and redrawing/refresh

[22:36] tino: Ok, if somebody could verify with a different compiler version that would certainly help

[22:37] shaunmcdonald: ericb2: and repackaging so that we don't need to run that script from the wiki

[22:37] paveljanik: hmm, it is snowing here for approx 10 hours now...

[22:37] ericb2: for example, Calc works fine with m200, but without aquasalbitmap changes

[22:37] ericb2: paveljanik:

[22:37] ericb2: paveljanik: I remember 70 cm last year . Was difficult to open the doors

[22:38] paveljanik: do we have other points?

[22:38] shaunmcdonald: paveljanik: lucky you

[22:38] ericb2: misc ?

[22:38] shaunmcdonald: • shaunmcdonald hasn't seen any proper snow yet

[22:39] • shaunmcdonald has never had enough snow for it to be difficult to open the door

[22:41] cloph: paveljanik: I did compile aquavcl01 on PPC and launched it..

[22:41] cloph: "Testing" would be too much to say :_)

[22:41] paveljanik: cloph: with vcl compiled with debug?

[22:42] cloph: • cloph was able to launch Calc as well, but I guess there is a memory-bug that waits to be hit..

[22:42] ericb2: cloph: launch it with - option

[22:42] cloph: Sometimes it launches, sometimes it crashes before...

[22:42] cloph: No, without debug

[22:42] ericb2: cloph: did you apply some patches ?

[22:42] ericb2: cloph: and did you disable extended tips ?

[22:43] tino: cloph: Would be nice if you could compile vcl with debug and see if it crashes or not

[22:43] ericb2: cloph: this is a big cause of crash

[22:43] paveljanik: ok, I'll go to bed now - good night

[22:43] tino: paveljanik: Bye

[22:43] ericb2: paveljanik: good night

[22:43] cloph: ericb2: No, no patches, and no, I didn't disable the extended tips (IIRC - but extended tips are not default either)

[22:44] ericb2: cloph: when you roll over icons on mai toolbar , do tips appear ?

[22:44] ericb2: s/mai/main/

[22:45] cloph: • cloph doesn't have it installed anymore since I had to reinstall Mac OSX yet again...

[22:47] mav_eric: paveljanik: good night

[22:47] ericb2: ok, I think I'll stop too

[22:47] cloph: ericb2: extended tips are Tooltips with much more info than the regular tooltips

[22:47] tino: Ok guys enough for today - good night!

[22:47] ericb2: last point :

[22:47] cloph: (temporarily activate with <shift>+<F1>)

[22:47] ericb2: I'll be at Solutions Linux Expo next week, to meet people

[22:48] ericb2: who want to see aqua version in runtime

[22:48] ericb2: I'l add Native FilePicker, and my work for native controls

[22:49] ericb2: including updateSettings() and some goodies like bitmaps for aqua popup menus

[22:49] shaunmcdonald: ericb2: so the native file picker works in aqua?

[22:49] ericb2: shaunmcdonald: in aqua, yes, since some times. Florian told me some filters are missing, but it works

[22:50] ericb2: shaunmcdonald: the issue is X11 related

[22:50] ericb2: shaunmcdonald: when you are in Fullscreen mode, you can use Native Filepicker at all

[22:50] shaunmcdonald: ericb2: the one that I built and played with in the past couple of weeks had X11 style file pickers

[22:50] ericb2: s/you can/you cannot/

[22:51] ericb2: shaunmcdonald: you have to enable something in some .xcu file

[22:51] shaunmcdonald: • shaunmcdonald grunts

[22:51] ericb2: shaunmcdonald: I tested it on X11 version , using 2.0.3

[22:51] shaunmcdonald: • shaunmcdonald remembers it from Hamburg

[22:52] cloph: • cloph 'll compile aquavcl01 with vcl debug and check whether it crashes or not...

[22:53] ericb2: ok, next meeting : Friday 2nd February, same hour ?

[22:53] shaunmcdonald: ericb2: fine by me

[22:53] ericb2: Last, I forgot to mention ybart ( Yvan Barthelemy wil work with me on native controls), adding, for example a way to retrieve preferences from Global preferences

[22:54] ericb2: like locale, arrows together or nor on scrollbars ..etc

[22:54] ericb2: s/or nor/or ,ot/

[22:54] ericb2: s/or nor/or not/

[22:54] shaunmcdonald: ericb2: brilliant

[22:54] You changed the topic to "OpenOffice.org Mac porting team channel. Next IRC Meeting is scheduled Friday 2nd February 2007 (21:00 UTC / 22:00 CET). See http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXPortMeetings#Next_Meeting for the agenda. All previous Mac port meetings logs are available at http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Previous_Mac_Meeting_logs | http://www.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?keywords=aqua".

Return to Mac meetings January 2007

Personal tools