Voice your opinion on the Marketing wiki.
Please try to keep the length of your opinion to two lines of text and add your name first!
- Steven Pauwels I really like the intensity that showed in the list when this was started :). I'll work on presenting my ideas on marketing support and post them.
- Chad Smith I hope that this Wiki becomes the hub of the Marketing project.
- Sigrid Kronenberger I think, this wiki a a really good chance, to involve more users to the Marketing Project. I hope that this wiki is constantly used and that a lot of work can be done with all the collaborative work here and the different lists.
- The Digital Pioneer This wiki is a great idea. I've been wanting a better way to find art projects that I think I could contribute to for a long time (well... sort of).
- Cristian Driga OK. So, what would push OOo's product recognition and adoption further these days ? Write your craziest ideas here Brainstorm-What would push OOo further. (Small sections of 1-2 paragraphs with username/timestamp.) Who gives the first shot ? :-)
- Jeff Causey I have added a page for the Strategic Marketing Plan. Feel free to help, though it will probably be good practice for me.
- Cristian Driga Jeff, please announce on the list and everybody, please try to follow a naming convention for pages under marketing (like the one recommended in the Instructions ?). By doing a search I discovered that John already started creating a page for Strategic Marketing Plan but did not linked anywhere and did not announced yet. See Marketing/SMP/Introduction
- James Walker I would like to see a page with a list of active people on the marketing project. Kind of a get to know the team type page.
- Cristian Driga - James, I have added such a list: Marketing Volunteers List
- Cristian Driga - I have created the Drafts category and renamed the Incubator to Drafts as discussed on the list. See Marketing index page for links there.
Suggestions for changes to Marketing section
I use MediaWiki software for a lot of different projects, and am familiar with a variety of implementations/purposes. I have some suggestions on the protocols outlined in the guidelines section of Marketing. I believe that if implemented, contributing to the wiki will be easier.
Please consider the suggestions indivdiually, so that they can be implemented if there is no dissent.
--RealGrouchy 05:35, 21 February 2006 (CET)
Names of pages
Firstly, we should be using [[Marketing/Pagename]], not [[Marketing--Pagename]], as the former is recognized by the Wiki software as being a subpage of [[Marketing]]. That way, a link to Marketing will be created automatically at the top of each page that is thusly formatted. (Incidentally, there are a lot of pages that aren't following this which I can fix soon if there is a desire for me to do so).
I've created a marketing template that we can add to all pages. This will help reduce the instructions in the guidelines for creating new pages, since it contains a link to the main "Marketing" page, as well as a Category:Marketing tag. I would like consensus to change the guidelines instructions to do so.
Furthermore, we may want to consider moving or removing the list of pages and categories on the Marketing page to focus attention to the topic at hand. Although this would mean also abandoning the descriptions.
This whole "first ask, discuss, and gather consensus, then and only then create the page" is, frankly, stupid. It is awkward, confusing, and goes against the whole idea of using a wiki (that is, that you make something, and if someone else doesn't like it, they can take it down or change it).
In my experience with project management, asking for comments on things is usually a futile endeavour. If anything, it will either get struck down (so we delete the page), or people have suggestions on how to do it (in which case they can edit the page).
Let's assume the case of a fly-by suggestion: somebody comes along, has an idea, and wants to do it. They will have a much easier time if they just do it, than if they post a suggestion to the discussion page, send a message to the dev list, wait a couple of days, then get permission and do it. By that time, they've probably moved on to other projects.