Could we have links to issues on Issue Tracker relating to these features so that people can easily see progress and easy updates to the page can be made?
Is chart2 same as "New Chart Module"? If so, it's listed under two different target versions.
Will the rewritten chart2 module be based on an improved 3D engine that does not producte charts with severe aliasing?
I'm doing some work on this page to hopefully improve the information available as to what is new with each release. If I mess anything up, let me know! mibus 14:06, 7 February 2007 (CET)
In my opinion, the GUI should be redesigned to get a more modern look. A good guideline is the nwe IBM Lotus Symphony the uses dynamic panels. This is better then MS Office's "ribbon", at least for documents, because it saves space on the top (normally documents are vertical).
I would especially like to have the following issues integrated into OOo 3.0. These are more general issues and I feel that there will be general acceptance of the usefulness of implementing them.
Writer lacks a lot of useful Views/Layouts. As writing a new document involves a number of steps, each one involving particular resources and needs, it makes sense to have Layouts adapted to each of those steps.
This is discussed more fully on the Writer Layouts-Wiki page. I started to expand that page, too.
Display Multiple Pages
One additional Layout is described in issue 1598. I have begun drafting a feature specification (see the issue for details). This issue also has gathered 117 votes. -- Implemented in OOo 3.0 -- Discoleo 19:48, 28 March 2008 (CET)
Discoleo 23:12, 21 July 2007 (CEST)
Fixed Lower Boundary for Text and Objects
High end publishing software sets a fixed lower boundary to every object and text-block on a page (this feature does not refer to a rigid grid). Therefore, every page / columns on a page, ends at this fixed position. This gives a professional touch to the document.
Unfortunately, the ODF specification lacks features that would allow to implement this in OOo. therefore, it is necessary to improve the ODF-specification in a first step. I would recommend doing this in the OOo 3.0 time-frame, and implementing the full feature in the OOo 3.x time-frame, see the Writer ODF Enhancement-Wiki page and issue 79877.
Discoleo 15:34, 22 July 2007 (CEST)
Add better html export:
- full-text export
- full style information
- more interactivity (url, js, ...)
Highlight current row (row over which the mouse pointer is placed).
See issue 79882.
This will bring greater interactivity to the presentation, also enhancing the experience for web-presentations. It is a better way of highlighting a selection than using a laser-pointer or the computer mouse.
Discoleo 11:46, 25 July 2007 (CEST)
Features planned for OOo 3.2 - Status 10 April 2009
Please move this collection of new features planned for OOo 3.2 to the main "features" page if you consider it appropriate
- based on Child Workspaces & issue list with target milestone 3.2 -
- Performance improvements
- Text rendering based on Cairo
- Implementation of ODF 1.2 Metadata
- Begin of support for opentype and Graphite Smart fonts
- XHTML export filter update / XHTML import filter (?)
- Support for Quicklook on OS X
- Rotating of images in Writer
- Stemming and morphological capabilities for Thesaurus
- Better OOXML import / begin of .docx export
- Notes for a range of text
- Bubble chart implementation for charting module
- Improvements in Autofilter, DataPilo, Conditional formatting, ODFFormula
- 3D Slideshow transitions for Linux and MacOS X, OpenGL transitions in Impress (Mac OS X)
- Animations in SWF export
- Highlighting in presentation mode
- Search and replace capabilities to SQL-Editor
- Baseline alignment of formulas in starmath module