New OOo Project Proposal: Design, Artwork and Branding Project
This page is meant to collect thoughts and ideas leading to a new OpenOffice.org project.
The project will be dedicated to branding and corporate design for OpenOffice.org, including creation of OpenOffice.org related artwork as well as taking care for a common look-and-feel among product, website, marketing material and any other place refering to OpenOffice.org.
The project's working title is (until anybody comes up with a better name):
Design, Artwork and Branding Project
This project wants to establish and maintain a general visual identity for OpenOffice.org - both the product and the community.
Actions to be taken
- Contact the existing projects actually working on the area of visual identity and branding:
- OOo design team at Sun: Definition of the present style ("Galaxy")for branding / visual design of the product and creation of the majority of graphical elements in the product.
- Art: Creation of marketing material and other artwork based on the splash screen and other branding elements.
- Website: Design of the website style to be used for the OOo project websites and collateral sites like wiki, templates and extensions.
- Marketing: Usage of artwork created by the Art Project for online and and printed representation.
- User Experience: Feedback of the general users and specified target groups on branding and visual identity.
- Native Language: Localized artwork on website, other online and printed material in native language.
- Documentation: Design of the official OOo documentation.
- User Interface: Menues, buttons and windows inside OOo.
- Find people from all these projects interested in working together on design and branding topics as representants of their projects. They will serve as contact persons in both directions: From their projects to the new branding/art project and from the new project back to the other projects.
- Proposal and creation of the new project.
After establishing the new project
- Determine the general goals for visual design.
- Revise present artwork and design elements with regards to their usability for a general branding design.
- Define a general visual design and branding style.
- Create a style guide describing the visual design to be followed by every artist working on artwork to represent OpenOffice.org.
- According to this style all necessary artwork has to be created.
- Spread this artwork to all the projects involved in branding and visual design (see above).
- Establish this style all the places where OpenOffice.org is represented by visual means.
- Re-evaluate interatively the visual goals of OpenOffice.org.
- Decide about possible design updates with major product changes.
- Keep the artwork, the places where it is used and the style guide up-to-date.
People interested in active contribution
|OOo name||real name||active in other projects||interested in|
|bedipp||Bernhard Dippold||art, marketing, (website, UX)||organizing and coordinating with other projects|