Porting to x86-64 (AMD64, EM64T)
This page is archived for historical reasons only.
The x86-64 port is essentially complete, modulo possible bugs. But between releases, during the development cycle, it is always likely that for a given milestone that OOo fails to build on x86_64, or that new 32bit-isms are introduced. Help is always appreciated to catch these problems early, or to recognize that there are other more subtle problems that we're unaware of.
The work was originally based on ooo64bit02 Child Workspace (CWS). It was too huge to be integrated as a whole, so it was split to various smaller CWS'es, and integrated to SRC680 (HEAD); then more fixes were introduced.
How to get it
It is recommended to use a recent distro for building, like SUSE 10.1 or newer. gcc should be at least 3.4.1 with enum+visibility patches, 4.x is probably the best choice.
It is very probable that you'll have problems with Java - some of the VM's have problems to build OOo on x86-64.
You have to have a 64bit Java installed. The following are known to work:
- gcj 4.0.1 - e.g. in SUSE 10.1 installation, works out of the box
- Blackdown Java - reported to work
How to help
- Compile it
- Find a bug (crash, missing functionality, ...)
- Fix it ;-) It might be either in the ooo-build patches, or up-stream
- File the problem & the solution to the Issuezilla if it is up-stream, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org if it is in the ooo-build patches
- Ensure that you CC 'kendy', 'pjanik', and 'cmc' on the report to get a quick response
- If the underlying problem is a new problem archetype - try to find & fix all other instances of it
Should you have questions, please contact caolan, kendy, martink, or paveljanik on IRC.