Major OpenOffice.org Deployments
|OOo Marketing Project
Please view the guidelines
Strategic Marketing Plan Pages:
This page will track public information on major OpenOffice.org deployments. To add to it, include a URL or reference information of the deployment. This page does not track ODF legislation or deployments. See the ODF adoption page on OpenDocument XML.org for that.
- The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of South Africa has adopted OpenOffice.org on over 2,500 workstations in its offices in Pretoria and throughout South Africa, specifically to make use of ODF.
- The Ministry of Finances of Morocco began the adoption of OpenOffice.org in its departments in 2006, continuing into 2007. Microsoft Excel macros have emerged as a challenge, slowing the migration process.
- Aizuwakamatsu City Gov't Introduces OOo into all its offices. They are planning to switch their office software from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org on 850 PCs in their government offices.
- Malaysia migrate's to OpenOffice.org. The Malaysian Administrative Modernisation and Management Planning Unit (MAMPU) is moving to OpenOffice.org on 19th March 08 onwards. MAMPU is not the only government agency to have an agency wide roll out of OpenOffice.org, previously state governments and the Ministry of Human Resource have already rolled out well planned efforts to implement OpenOffice.org.
- Vietnam's Party Central Office will switch 20,000 computers from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org, starting early in 2008. (alternate source)
- Vietnam's Department of Education has also announced it will switch 20,000 computers to OpenOffice.org in 2008.
- Election Commission of India (EC) to switch to OpenOffice.org
- Election Commission of India
- The Postal Service of South Korea moved to Linux on 4,748 desktop systems in 2,800 branch offices at the end of 2005, and expects to save about €680,000 per year.
- Ministry of Defense in Singapore
- "MINDEF has already installed the OpenOffice productivity suite on 5,000 desktop computers... We hope to deploy OpenOffice on 20,000 desktop computers by the end of March 2006."
- Software Industry Promotion Agency, Thailand
- The government of India is distributing millions of CDs with OOo in local languages. 3,500,000 in Tamil, 3,500,000 in Hindi distributed in 2005. Other languages are coming: "The next stage of the project is to distribute CDs containing applications in Punjabi, a popular Indian language. This launch is due to happen in August and as Punjabi is also spoken in Pakistan, the project hopes to hold launch events in both countries."
- Macau Productivity and Technology Transfer (CPTTM), Macau. Started in 2003 and completed in 2005. Upgrading in summer 2007 from OOo 1.1.5 to OOo 2.2.
- Federal Data Center Project, Pakistan: 1,000 initially, moving to 4,000
- Alexandra Hospital, Singapore
- Government offices in Tamil Nadu, India: "More than 3,000 Suse Linux desktops have been dispatched to government offices in Tamil Nadu, and Windows is not offered unless there is an absolute necessity."
- Elcot (Electronics Corporation of Tamil Nadu) India's largest Linux rollout forges ahead despite tremendous odds
- City of Rovereto (Trento -Italy): 420 MS Office desktops and laptops replaced June 2010 by OpenOffice.org
- Danish resolution B103 would require the government to define and use open file formats (see this unofficial translation of the actual parliament decision).
- "Parliament directs the government to ensure that the use of information technology, including software, within public authorities is based upon open standards... No later than January 1st, 2008, the government should introduce and maintain a set of open standards that can serve as inspiration for other public authorities. Hereafter, open standards should be a part of the basis for public authorities' development and purchase of IT software, with the aim to further competition."
- A report describes the implementation of the resolution. Here is a summary in english (PDF).
- County of Gribskov, Denmark is using OpenOffice.org on all PC workstation in the administration  (in Danish)
- City of Rødovre is using OpenOffice.org in conjunction with case- and document handling
- The University of Southern Denmark www.dsu.dk: Administration and 22,000 students will be using OpenOffice.org.
- City Council, Ogre, Latvia
- Metropolitan Court, Budapest, Hungary: 1,500 workstations
- MultiRacio Ltd. deployed more than 60,000 copies of its OOo commercial derivatives called MagyarOffice and EuroOffice in Hungary since 2002 . One-third has been deployed in the public sector and two-thirds in small and medium businesses. For example:
- 2,300 copies of MagyarOffice were deployed by the Ministry of Informatics in the so called e-Magyarország points in 2004,
- more than 60% of 10,500 PCs were shipped with MagyarOffice in a public procurement for institutions in 2003, in which MagyarOffice and MS Office were treated on equal footing.
- Region Brussels Capital, Belgium: both government and schools
- Belgian Government Chooses ODF: "From September 2008 on, all document exchanges within the services of the Belgian government will have to be in an open, standard format, according to the proposal. ODF is the only accepted standard in the proposal."
- City of Birmingham, UK
- City of Berlin, Germany
- City of Prague: 60 MS Office desktops replaced by OpenOffice.org
- City of Bristol, UK: 5,000 desktops migrated toStarOffice.
- More in-depth coverage by Jono Bacon at LinuxDevCenter.com
- Since 2003, Extremadura, a region of Spain, has run 80,000 Linux PCs with OpenOffice.org and a collection of other FOSS applications. OS News
- Gdańsk, Poland
- Sonneburgh foundation, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- The City of Munich, Germany plans to migrate 14,000 desktops to OpenOffice and Linux by 2008.
- City of Mannheim, Germany
- City of Schwäbisch Hall, Germany
- Paris administrations
- Conseil General of Pyrénées Orientales has deployed 1,500 workstations with OOo since February 2006.
- French Gendarmerie: 70,000 desktop PCs were migrated to OpenOffice.org. It started in 2005 and is now finished. Link in French.
- French National Assembly
- The French tax agency (Direction Générale des Impôts): 80,000 desktop PCs were migrated to OOo in 2006.
- "The agency has calculated that switching its 80,000 desktops to Office XP (from MS Office 97) would cost around €29.5m, but switching to OpenOffice.org only €200,000. Although this cost is a one-off saving, Lapeyre points out that due to the need for regular upgrades it will effectively save this amount every five years."
- Groklaw interview
- French General Board of Customs
- French Ministry of Interior
- French Ministry of Equipment
- Also: French Ministry of Equipment (article circa 2004) Windows on "60,000 workstations and 2,000 NT servers will be replaced" by Mandrake Linux. OpenOffice is not explicitly mentioned, but is implied.
- French MPs "The project, backed by MPs Richard Cazenav and Bernard Carayon of the UMP party, will see 1,154 French parliamentary workstations running an open source OS, with OpenOffice.org, Firefox and an open source email client."
- City of Vienna, Austria
- The Municipality of Sarpsborg, Norway
- Belgian Federal Public Justice Service is migrating 4,000 users to OpenOffice.org
- Central Bank of Republic of Turkey: Around 2,000 desktops adopting OOo, 600 also adopting Linux.
- The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey
- Ministry of Water Resources of Turkey with 1,000 desktop installations.
- Directorate of İstanbul City Health has installed more than 300 desktops with OpenOffice.org 2.0.
- tax authority in Lower Saxony, Germany 12,000 desktops.
- Ministry of Finance, Republic of Macedonia has installed more than 150 desktops with OpenOffice.org 2.0
- The Finnish Department of Justice migrated 8,500 Windows desktops to OpenOffice.org beginning in December 2006.
- Migration Case Study (PDF): "The migration decision was based on office software evaluation in 2005 and an extensive OpenOffice.org pilot project in 2006. The main results of the office software study are presented in the report including the various migration options considered during the evaluation. In the pilot project, the functionality and compatibility of OpenOffice.org was tested in daily office use. In addition, the evaluation of training and support requirements, workstation installations and configurations were among the tasks of the pilot project."
- Other case studies of migration to FOSS in Europe
- The Municipality of Groningen, the Netherlands is gradually installing OpenOffice.org on all systems, thus saving 330,000 Euros in license renewal fees.
- The Municipality of Vaals, the Netherlands has replaced 90 systems with Linux and Openoffice.org.
- The Municipality of Heerenveen, the Netherlands is migrating all of its 400 desktops from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice 2.0 [2006/2007]
- The Municipality of Alba-Iulia, Romania uses OpenOffice.org since version 1.04, on a network of about 200 computers.
- Junta de Andalucía, the Regional Government of Andalusia, Spain has around one million users distributed among the 185,000 computers in its schools, all exclusively running Guadalinex and OpenOffice.org. Also the libraries of the region have deployed a special version of Guadalinex and OOo. Finally, the IT tele-centers for the towns of the region with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants total, in 2007, about 235,000 registered users of Guadalinex and OOo. Additionally, since 2003, the Junta de Andalucía, has distributed to citizens more than 500,000 CDs of its Linux distro Guadalinex, containing OpenOffice.org. It maintains a version of Guadalinex updated about every year and personalized for each of the above described environments.
- City of Bologna uses OpenOffice.org on 3.600 computers.
- NRK, the Norvegian national broadcaster uses OpenOffice.org and ODF files on about 850 computers.
- The Municipality of Kamenica, Macedonia
- Howard County Library (USA, Maryland) deploys OpenOffice on 322 computers for public use
- Legal Aid Manitoba, Canada, switched to OpenOffice.org from WordPerfect (and from Windows to Linux) on all its 150 desktops.
- Howard County Libraries, Maryland, USA
- City of Largo, Florida, USA: Approximately 900 users have accounts. OpenOffice is running on a 4 processor, quad-core 2.4Ghz server to 550 HP thin clients. Normal user load is around 100 concurrent users.
- State of Nevada, Department of Corrections 1,135 Desktops to have OOo installed for PDF creation and evaluation of migration options.
- City of Northglenn, Colorado
- 2002: Jefferson County, Colorado
- 2003: City of Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- 2007: Charles County Government, La Plata, Maryland
- Judicial Commission, New South Wales, Australia
- Argentinian state choose ODF: "Any electronic document created or generated by the state government of Misiones/Argentina aimed to store and distribute information to state offices and employees must use the OpenDocument format ( ISO/IEC 26300 specification )." The resolution cited explicitly rejects the following formats: MS-Office (doc, xls, ppt), RTF and other propietary binary formats like Wordperfect's wp.
- Banco do Brasil, a successful case on the OpenOffice.org migration The "Banco do Brasil", Brazil´s state-owned bank, has installed 71,000 copies of OpenOffice.org (also known in Brazil as BrOffice.org) covering almost every computer of the Enterprise, which reduced the MS-Office 2003 licences in 70%.
- Linux Arrives on 50,000 Brazilian Desktops The Brazilian federal government's "Computers for All" project will deploy OpenOffice.org on 50,000 desktops.
- Professores aprovam laboratórios de informática do Paraná Digital The Government of the Paraná State - Brazil: It adopted BrOffice.org (Brazilian OpenOffice.org) in all the work stations. Only in the State net of Education, Digital Paraná Project, will be more than 40,000 installations of BrOffice.org.
- Infraero adota BrOffice.org como suíte de escritório Infraero - Brazilian Company of Airports Infrastructure adopts BrOffice.org and saves R$ 4 million of reais (approximately $ 2.5 million dollars).
- Software Livre em Sergipe, entrevista com Anizio Dantas Interview with Anizio Dantas about the use of OpenOffice.org (BrOffice.org) in the Government of Sergipe State, in Brazil. Anizio talks about the financing of 8,000 computers with Linux and OpenOffice.org and the training of 6,000 users in BrOffice.org.
- IPRAJ inicia adoção do BrOffice.org no Tribunal de Justiça da Bahia The Justice Court of Bahia State, in Brazil, saves 500 thousand US dollars with the OpenOffice.org migration.
- Free Software in Dataprev: BrOffice.org in desktops The brazilian public IT company (Dataprev) intends to use BrOffice.org in 40 thousand computers.
- Ranger Police in Paraguay Ranger police have the statement of OpenOffice.org right on their homepage althought in Spanish, they state the succesful migration and adoption of modern technology with the goal of make their processes more efficient.
- Estudo de Implantação do BrOffice.org na Justiça do Trabalho Detailed report about the use of OpenOffice.org in the Brazilian Justice. 47 pages.
- Estudo Comparativo de Custos: o Caso do OpenOffice.org no Metrô de SP Detailed report about the use of OpenOffice.org in the São Paulo State Subway Company. 39 pages.
- Correios do Brasil (Brazilian Post Service) 20.000 computers with BrOffice.org (OpenOffice.org).
- Tribunal de Contas do Estado de Mato Grosso (Auditors Court of Mato Grosso State) The most important case of BrOffice.org in the Mato Grosso State.
- Junta Departamental de San José, Uruguay Since 2002 is only used OpenOffice on all your computers. The ODF format is the standard Organization
Schools and Universities
- SchoolNet Namibia has helped deploy open source software including Linux and OpenOffice.org to over 300 schools in Namibia, to grow to 750 by 2008.
- "We conservatively estimate that some 140,000 - 180,000 learners and 5,000 - 8,000 teachers and student teachers are regular users of SchoolNet's Internet service and ICT facilities."
- Novell South Africa helps deploy 2,205 machines with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop with OpenOffice.org in 105 schools within South Africa's North West Province.
- University of the Philippines.
- Tayabas Western Academy de Gala Street Candelaria, Quezon 4323 Republic of the Philippines joined the OpenOffice.org community starting school year – 2008-2009.
- Parshvanath College of Engineering, Thane, India: "Today, we have over 2,500 users on our network... Using OpenOffice.org, we have saved roughly Rs 70,000."
- Asia School of Arts and Sciences, Philippines. Will start implementing OpenOffice.org beginning school year 2006-07.
- UK's The Guardian has been using OpenOffice.org throughout the newspaper since December 2008.
- The municipal of Tønder  has installed OpenOffice.org as the only office suite on all 1.500 computers in public school.
- Lyngby-Taarbæk, Denmark is using OpenOffice.org in primary school.
- Copenhagen Institute of Technology 
- The University of Southern Denmark (SDU) may migrate 22,000 students to OOo (description in Danish).
- Handsworth Grammar School, Birmingham, UK - runs a GNU/Linux Thin Client network with OpenOffice as standard - since 2003.
- Ilford Preparatory School & Ilford Grammar School, London, UK - runs a mixed Windows/Linux network with OpenOffice as the primary office suite on a mixture of thin and fat clients.
- Swadelands School in Kent UK.
- Lycée Marie Curie, in Echirolles, FR runs a SambaEdu network (a dedicated Debian GNU/Linux for Education and 300 Clients with Windows 9x or XP ) with OpenOffice.org as default office suite (1,500 students, 130 teachers).
- Lycée Jean Bart, Dunkerque, FR - runs a Windows network with OpenOffice as the primary office suite, both for education and for administration. Also deploys thin GNU/Linux clients for teaching physical measurements, with OOo as an office suite.
- Lycée du pays de soule, Chéraute, FR - runs a Windows network with 120 PCs and 5 Linux servers. 90% of the PCs run OpenOffice.
- Mall School for boys in Richmond, UK.
- Portugal: The Portuguese Ministry of Education has installed 15,000 PCs in 1,000 schools with Linux and OpenOffice.org following an agreement with Sun Microsystems. It has also deployed an additional 25,000 laptops with dual boot Windows and Linux with OpenOffice.org
- Portugal: The Portuguese Ministry of Education is distributing a CD with OpenOffice.org and other Free Software to all 9,000 primary and secondary schools in Portugal. The software is also available for download.
- The Hayesbrook School in Tonbridge, Kent, UK deployed OpenOffice 2 to over 400 desktops & laptops.
- Hohenstaufen Gymnasium Kaiserslautern Germany: Uses OpenOffice.org on all PCs for nearly all subjects. It's one of Rhineland-Palatine's leading MINT-EC schools.
- Institute of Philosophy and Sociology, Polish Academy of Sciences Warsaw, uses OpenOffice.org 2.0 on Suse desktops.
- More than 200,000 computers deployed to schools in Andalusia using Guadalinex and OpenOffice.org.
- University of Cologne Germany: StarOffice/OpenOffice deployed on over 300 student workplaces
- Macedonia to supply all schools with GNU/Linux desktops - OpenOffice.org to be used
- France: Oise 55 000 laptops will be distributed to students and teachers will be loaded with OpenOffice.org
- France: Paris distributes Open Source USB keys to students
- Croatia: All state employees and teachers will receive manuals for OpenOffice
- Turkey: All primary school to teach use of Open Source, including OpenOffice,org
- The Hamilton School, Aberdeen, UK - uses the OpenDocument Format as the default format for all documents and uses OpenOffice on all PCs on its Windows/Ubuntu network.
- Brandon Elementary School in Atlanta, Georgia, USA: 250 desktops running OpenOffice.org on K12LTSP. Project began in May, 2005.
- DeWitt Public Schools in Michigan, USA will save almost $48,000 in licensing fees next year by migrating wholly to OpenOffice.org instead of MSO 2007.
- Noxon Schools in Montana, USA: 185 desktops moved to OpenOffice in December 2005. (60 run OOo on Windows, 125 on Linux.)
- Earlham College, a Quaker college in Richmond, Indiana, upgraded all of its public computers to OpenOffice at the beginning of 2005.
- Illinois Central College in East Peoria, Illinois, USA has installed OOo on all its campus lab computers, and distributes installation CDs to students.
- Bacone College in Oklahoma.
- SUNY Albany: ResNet, the campus IT services group, provides incoming students with the ResNet Software Suite CD, which includes Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, anti-spyware and anti-virus applications.
- University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy: 268 desktops in summer 2003.
- Various Public Schools in Portland, Oregon, USA: "All of Portland's middle schools and many of its elementary and high schools have Linux workstations."
- The US State of Indiana will deploy Linux on up to 300,000 computers with OpenOffice.org over the next few years, relying on a combination of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop from Novell, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu Linux and Linspire Linux. See CRN magazine article, Novell press release and Linspire press release.
- Glenwood School for Boys and Girls, Glenwood, IL, USA: Migrated to OpenOffice.org 2 on over 100 desktops in our Grades 2-8 school in September 2005 (started with beta release), replacing MS Office 2000. Distributed 100 installation CDs to students to take home in December 2005. Have deployed OpenOffice or StarOffice to every computer on our campus, approximately 200 desktops in all. While MS Office is still used by many staff members, this was our first year to use OpenOffice exclusively for our students in the academic program.
- Pleasant View Christian School, Pleasant View, Tennessee United States, uses OpenOffice.org 2.0 on Windows desktops in every classroom. The school was able to buy additional computers because of the savings over using Microsoft Office.
- Windsor Unified School District in Windsor, California. Starting January 2007 with one of the district's elementary schools, the district began shifting from Windows to SUSE Linux Enterprise along with OpenOffice.org instead of buying new MS Office licenses. By Summer 2007 all 5,200 students and 250 teachers are expected to be on the new system.
- State of Maine MLTI has deployed NeoOffice, a fork of OpenOffice.org, on G4 iBooks distributed to middle school students.
- San Diego Unified School District, the eighth-largest in the USA, will roll out 100,000 SUSE Linux Enterprise laptops (with OOo) to students in its one-to-one laptop program beginning in 2007.
- Okoboji Community School District in Iowa has deployed OpenOffice.org 3.0 to 500+ desktop, notebook, and tablet pcs across the district in an effort to reduce cost.
- Stafford Middle School in Stafford County, Virginia is beginning a roll-out on all Windows-based machines in the 6-8 school of approximately 600 students during the 2008-2009 school year.
- University of Melbourne, Australia Distributes OpenOffice CDs to students for free or a minimal charge.
- Schools across New South Wales, Australia (41,000 total computers) will adopt OpenOffice.org in 2008.
- High Schools in Chile, via Enlaces.
- Caso de uso do OpenOffice.org na UNISC The case presentation of University of Santa Cruz do Sul (UNISC), in Rio Grande do Sul State, Brazil.
- Schools in every municipality of Brazil The Brazilian Ministry of Education are deploying 356,800 Linux workstations running BrOffice.org in schools in all of Brazil's 5,560 municipalities.
- PUC Minas anuncia adoção do OpenOffice.org The PUC (Catolic University) of Minas Gerais State, in Brazil. PUC announced the adoption of OpenOffice.org in 2116 computers in academic area.
- Ranger Police in Paraguay Ranger police have the statement of OpenOffice.org right on their homepage althought in Spanish, they state the succesful migration and adoption of modern technology with the goal of make their processes more efficient.
- Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., Japan. Their existing PCs will be replaced with OpenOffice.org preinstalled PCs at the pace of 500 PCs per year.
- K.K. Ashisuto, Japan. Approximately 700 of about 1100 total computers in the office are migrated to OpenOffice.org.
- Bangkok Airways, Thailand.
- Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), Thailand.
- GB Engineering Ent. Pvt. Ltd, India.
- LIC, India. (life insurance provider) Approximately 60,000 users and five to six thousand servers will migrate to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Resolvo Systems Pte Ltd: Asia's leading open source solutions provider based in Singapore. It has been using OpenOffice company-wide since OO version 1.0. Assisted Singapore Ministry of Defense to migrate to OpenOffice.
- ELCOT, the government corporation to support and develop IT infrastructure in Tamil Nadu, India has migrated 40,000 PCs to SUSE Linux, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, and an entire open source workflow stack. This includes schools, professional offices, software development centers, and government desktops.
- ICICI Bank of India--initially, a StarOffice contract (2004), NOW USING OpenOffice.org
- ASIGEST, a Romanian insurance company.
- Ford & Warren Solicitors, UK. A leading Law Firm in Leeds with 200 desktops now using Openoffice 3.0. Previous versions of OpenOffice and StarOffice 5.x were also used previous to this rollout. Ford & Warren are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and are members of the International Society Of Primerus Law Firms.
- Future Publishing, UK. A leading tech magazine publisher, with 700 OpenOffice.org users.
- Groupe Laurent: French Car/Trucks/Industry Technical parts distributor. 650 OpenOffice users, including 550 on Linux.
- Kervan Gida, Turkey with 80+ desktops.
- LVM Insurance in Munster, Germany: 7,700 Red Hat Linux desktops.
- MOBEXPERT Group of Companies, Romania. The leading Romanian furniture manufacturer and retailer.
- Peugeot Citroën of France "will install Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop on up to 20,000 computers in addition to 2,500 servers" starting in early 2007.
- PROFI Rom Food, a Romanian food producer and retailer (store chain), with headquarters in Timișoara.
- Total Cont- Sibiu România, a finance and bookkeeping company .
- Travel Republic , UK. A leading online travel agency with over 120 workstations that handles over 1 million passengers per year. Travel Republic was the UK's fastest growing private company in 2007 (Fast Track 100).
- Zando Computer, an IT consulting company located in Bucharest, Romania, actively recommends and deploys OpenOffice.org and other OpenDocument format solutions to its clients. Zando Computer is also a member of ASRO/CT210, the Romanian standardization body on document formats.
- Backcountry.com, a US-based ecommerce retailer of ski, snowboard, hiking, climbing and outdoor gear.
- JH Larson Electrical Company, A US-based wholesaler of Electrical, Plumbing, Lighting and HVAC products. Migrated 200+ users to OO.org 2.4 in April of 2008.
- Ernie Ball Guitars, San Luis Obispo, California.
- Health First, Inc. in Brevard County, FL, USA: Migrating 6,000 IT users on 3,500 PCs from Microsoft Office 97 to OpenOffice.org (May 2004).
- "Migrating to Linux at Health First" case study by Novell.
- Life Brokerage Equity Group, national financial services firm with 300+ OOo users vs. 3 Microsoft Office.
- Miller Industries, Inc. in Tennessee, USA: World's largest manufacturer of vehicle towing and recovery equipment. About 200 OpenOffice 2.0.x users.
- NAFECO INC. NAFECO (North America Fire Equipment Company), a US based corporation, has switched its users to OOo. Approx. 125 desktops/notebooks.
- Novell with 5,000 users (most of them on SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop).
- 2007: Everex (a division of First International Computer), Fremont, California, USA, distributes +20,000 notebook and desktop PCs to Wal-Mart and Sam's Clubs throughout the US.
- Hustler Turf Equipment Hesston, KS - Manufacturer of commercial and residential lawn mowers. Migrated 100+ users to Linux (Debian) on the desktop and OpenOffice 2.0.
- Petrolink International Houston, TX - Data Distribution for the Oil and Gas industry. Migrated 180+ users worldwide to OpenOffice 3.2
- De Bortoli Wines, Australia. OpenOffice.org installed on all client devices (With over 2/3 of these users running Linux desktops).
- MIP Holdings New Zealand.
- Egressive Limited in Christchurch, New Zealand. Started with Star Office 5.1. Organisation uses OpenOffice.org 2.2 for Linux and NeoOffice for the Mac. ODF is our internal document standard. We encourage the adoption of OpenOffice.org among our customers and promote the use of ODF over OOXML or other faux-open or proprietary/patent encumbered file formats.
- Fen Hoteles, Argentina, Paraguay. OpenOffice.org installed on Central Offices (50 PCs) and 12 Hotels (app. 60 PCs)
- Casas Bahia Casas Bahia is the largest retail chain in Brazil, selling electronics, furniture and appliances. With more than 500 stores, Casas Bahia uses the OpenOffice.org productivity suite for the 900 users who need desktop software.
Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)
- C.P.T.R.T (Centro de Prevencion, Tratamiento y Rehabilitacion de las Victimas de Tortura y sus Familiares).
- European Youth Forum, which is also using ODF only for communications to its 94 member organizations.
- Greenpeace Spain, Madrid and Barcelona offices: http://www.greenpeace.org/espana/news/greenpeace-apuesta-por-el-soft
- WEC Australia: "Reaching people, planting churches."
- People & Planet 25 desktops using OpenOffice.org
- Swiss Foundation for Mine Action (FSD) using OpenOffice on either Ubuntu or Windows XP on Desktops and Laptops.
- The VUFO/NGO ressource centre have been using OpenOffice on windows for more than four years and on now on Ubuntu gnu/linux for more than one year 5 workstations and 2 laptops.
Other Sectors or Tentative Deployments
- Somewhere in France: http://fr.openoffice.org/Marketing/matexpo/Documents/memoire_cnam.pdf
StarOffice and StarSuite
- Bristol City Council, UK: 5,500 PCs migrated in late 2005, early 2006.
- AOL PCs (as AOL Office)
- The State of Haryana, India
- Sun Microsystems: Its 36,000 employees use StarOffice.
- Banca Popolare di Milano
- 4,500 SUSE Linux desktops with a Mozilla web browser, web client for Lotus Notes, Sun’s StarOffice suite, and a Java-based custom suite of banking applications in its 500 branch offices.
- German Monopolies Commission
- Ontario Ministry of Education
- Hong Kong Schools
- Central Singapore Community Development Council (CS CDC) ?? - no date supplied
- United India Insurance Company (UIIC) of India
- Onesource of India
- National Fertilisers of India
- Apnaloan.com of India
- San Jose State University ?
- Michigan Technological University ?
- Hamilton County School District in Tennessee ?
- Texas School for the Blind ?
- Dallas Independent School District ?
Other Similar Lists
- SchoolForge's Case Studies page covers educational use of FOSS: http://www.schoolforge.net/case
- in Italian language (link to all language articles): Italy Europe Africa America Asia Oceania ... World legislations