How do I install OpenOffice.org on Slackware?
How do I install OpenOffice.org 3 on Slackware?
Installing from Linux RPMs
1. Download Ooo_2.0.xxx_Linux<NeededCPUArchitecture>_install.tar.gz.
2. Unpack downloaded .tar.gz archive, for example with command 'tar xvzf'
3. cd into RPMS subfolder, which will be created after unpacking the .tar.gz
4. Run su (or sudo -s, if your system uses sudo and you are allowed to run a shell as root with sudo -s).
5. Delete any openoffice.org*menus*.rpm files that do not apply to your system. For example openoffice.org-debian-menus*.rpm is not for Slackware.
6. Install the rpm2tgz utility, if it is missing, for converting RPM packages to native Slackware packages (.tgz).
7. Running rpm2tgz produces a .tgz file which can be installed using the installpkg or pkgtool utility.
8. Install .tgz packages with either command installpkg or pkgtool. For example,
Repeat as necessary to install all the packages.
9. Use rpm2tgz to convert the desktop integration package and install.
10. Optionally install java runtime environment (j2re).
11. Install any language packs needed for OpenOffice.org (also converted to .tgz format with rpm2tgz utility)
12. Exit from administrator (root) shell with command 'exit'
13. Now you can run OpenOffice with the command /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.
Note: Please check paths, permissions and users when using rpm2tgz.
1. Use removepkg openoffice.org to remove the suite.