User:Nnino/Ressourcen/Jono Bacon - The Art of Community
Link to the source of the book: PDF (2.2MB)
Trying to summarize what I've read up to now (somewere in the middle of chapter 2 out of 11)...
Chapter 1: The Art of Community
In his first chapter, Jono derives the steps for building a successfull community, what he calls the "Community TODO List":
- Identify how we can divide our community into teams.
- Ensure that teams can communicate clearly and effectively.
- Attract a diverse range of contributors to our community to get involved and contribute to our goals.
- Build an environment conducive to our wider goals.
- Define the scope of each team, and help team members understand that scope.
- Understand the extent and range of collaboration between our teams.
- Encourage diversity and opportunity in the community.
- Produce a Code of Conduct.
Chapter 2: Planning your community
This chapter starts about building a Strategic Plan. It begins with the following helpful questions:
- What is the mission?
- We want to understand our primary mission—the bright, shiny prize for which we encourage and inspire our community. What is this eventual outcome that we lust for? Is it a software release, political change, to help a demographic of people, or to produce something?
- What are the opportunities and areas of collaboration?
- We want to explore how our community can work together to create and achieve things. What are these areas? How can we work together in different ways?
- What are the skills required?
- We want to identify what skills we need in our community so we can later establish teams to house these skills. What are these skills?