Sidebar Proposal by IBM
|Please do not edit this page unless you are the original author. Your feedback and comments are welcome in the Comments section below or on the email@example.com mailing list.|
Design Proposal -- Sidebar -- By IBM
|We propose a sidebar way to organize the commands/UI entries on OpenOffice.org UI.
- The panels can be docked to the side of editing area.
- Users can switch between the panels by the tab beside the panels.
Users can click on the icons on a skinny bar beside the panel, to switch to another panel.
Here is an example: switch to Style List panel.
The properties panel on sidebar
- There are some sub-panles on preperties panel. E.g. Text, Paragraph, Table, Area, Line, Graphic, Cell Appearance, Number Format, Master Page, Page Layout, Template, etc...
- The properties panel will show different sub-panels for different context. E.g. When users are editing texts, the sub-panels like Text and Paragraph will be shown. When users focus on a slide, the sub-panels of Slide Layout, Template, and Master Page will be shown there.
- So in most contexts, users don't need to switch between panels manually. They can get them on Properties Sidebar dirctly.
Here is an example for the context when users editing texts. Text and Paragraph sub-panels will be shown on Properties panel.
Especially to show: The context when users select a page of presentation
When users select a page(click the thumbnail on Slide View or just click the blank on a page), the Layout, Master Page and Template will be shown as sub-panels on Properties sidebar.