ReleaseStatus Minutes 2009-04-27 IRC log

From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Revision as of 18:54, 16 March 2010 by Ivanm (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

(14:57:01) ja_: Moin
(14:57:16) VolkerMe: MoinMoin
(14:57:24) MechtiIde: hello
(14:57:56) mla [n=ml93712@nat/sun/x-2a2e24df17f90b78] hat den Raum betreten.
(14:58:37) kai_a [n=Kai_Ahre@] hat den Raum betreten.
(14:58:48) UweL [n=chatzill@nat/sun/x-363a76fb09943de4] hat den Raum betreten.
(14:59:21) _Nesshof_: moin
(14:59:47) mdamboldt_away heißt jetzt mdamboldt
(14:59:48) rtimm [n=Ruediger@nat/sun/x-1ff8c2b2e7b247ed] hat den Raum betreten.
(14:59:57) _Nesshof_: 3.1 release status:
(15:00:02) paveljanik: Moin
(15:00:22) MechtiIde: What is the state of RC release?
(15:00:25) _Nesshof_: upload has been delayed due some technical problem with the signing of the Windows install sets
(15:00:44) _Nesshof_: ja_: the upload is now in progress ?
(15:01:21) ja_: not yet. I'm still packing sources but I believe upload will start within the next hours
(15:01:30) _Nesshof_: the good news is: no new issues for now
(15:02:12) MechtiIde: ja_, will they be visible under ../extended/3.1.0RC2 ?
(15:02:31) paveljanik: _Nesshof_: ;-)
(15:02:37) ja_: Mechtilde: as always, yes
(15:03:04) _rene_: so can I upload rc2-1 to Debian now without being too early? ;-)
(15:03:22) ***_Nesshof_ dumped his Windows in favor of a real OS and switch for signing to a product windows server, unfortunately it takes some days to figure out that it is no good idea to take a Windows 64bit system for this task :-(
(15:03:36) _Nesshof_: s/product/production
(15:03:50) VolkerMe: The bad news is that we have to shift the timeline once more. :-(
(15:04:16) _Nesshof_: VolkerMe: yes :-(
(15:04:17) Stefan___b: Hi
(15:04:43) VolkerMe: And this is intensively monitored by the press.
(15:04:53) _Nesshof_: an official announcement for rc2 will not be there before Wednesday I think
(15:05:03) _rene_: Wednesday?! wtf?
(15:05:34) ***_rene_ then would consider to upload now if you don't object
(15:05:36) _Nesshof_: upload, mirroring, bouncer links takes some time
(15:05:45) ja_: I cannot add Bouncer links before tomorrow
(15:05:58) _rene_: because Wednesday is too late imho, but we need real-life tests
(15:06:14) _Nesshof_: as I understand ja_ upload is in progress
(15:06:34) VolkerMe: [15:01] <ja_> not yet. I'm still packing sources but I believe upload will start within the next hours
(15:06:44) MechtiIde: _rene_, we start with testing ASAP the builds are on the mirrors
(15:07:44) _rene_: ok, I then will need to tell the Debian people they'll need to live with the buggy rc1 for longer *sigh*
(15:08:22) _Nesshof_: plan now is to decide on release in next monday's status meeting and go live next week if no new stoppers will be raised
(15:08:53) _Nesshof_: the long duration of upload, mirroring, bouncer entries propagation is really a pain
(15:09:22) _rene_: _Nesshof_: and what also is a pain is that nothing happen(s/ed) on wekeend
(15:09:27) MechtiIde: _Nesshof_, I think we have to discuss these things separately
(15:09:35) _Nesshof_: MechtiIde: yes
(15:09:57) _Nesshof_: _rene_: I ran out of ideas what the problem with the signing was during Saturday
(15:10:13) _rene_: so you everytime risk being too eaarly with the upload to Debian
(15:10:24) VolkerMe: _Nesshof_: Is there any possiblity to split the upload process? 1. Install sets 2. Langpacks 3. Solaris builds ? ;-)
(15:10:24) ***_rene_ could have just done a dput this morning technically
(15:10:34) _rene_: VolkerMe: wrong order
(15:10:46) VolkerMe: _rene_: Depends
(15:10:49) _rene_: VolkerMe: 0. source 1. installsets linux, 2. langpacks, 3. rest :P
(15:11:16) VolkerMe: _rene_: Nice try!
(15:11:19) _rene_: (and yes, I *do* mean source is important, at least it should be there *together* with the binaries)
(15:11:28) VolkerMe: But we agree in 2.
(15:11:42) _Nesshof_: any other issues regarding the 3.1 release ?
(15:11:44) _rene_: I care less about windows, they have M$ office ;-)
(15:12:06) _rene_: if they want FOSS, they should switch to Linux completely ;-)
(15:12:32) _rene_: _Nesshof_: ok, Wednesday which time?=
(15:12:36) MechtiIde: _Nesshof_, another point is that tester using more than one OS can start with the first test rounds
(15:12:50) VolkerMe: _Nesshof_: The state of upload was not answered.
(15:12:52) _rene_: _Nesshof_: and: when will we have the source tarballs so we can base our builds on them?
(15:13:19) _Nesshof_: ja_ is the master of the updoad
(15:13:30) ***_rene_ hates it if he used power/cpu cycles over the weekend for nothing
(15:13:50) _rene_: because it got delayed once more for nonsensical reasons.
(15:14:32) _Nesshof_: _rene_: sorry for that, I also would have seen the available parts of the uploads already on Friday
(15:15:01) _Nesshof_: somehow the process only starts when all parts are available :-(
(15:15:11) ja_: svn export and packaging of the source tarballs is still running. I expect it to be finished within the next hour
(15:15:28) _rene_: ja_: and why oh why, wasn't that done directly after the "ready for use" mail
(15:15:36) _rene_: and they were uploaded on Friday?
(15:15:42) _rene_: or at least on the weekend?
(15:15:55) _rene_: why only start well into afternoon on Monday?
(15:16:05) _rene_: so that this is even more delayed?
(15:17:13) mdamboldt: I'm sure there is room for improvement in the upload process and I guess ja_ will look into this.
(15:17:33) _rene_: he will?
(15:17:41) _rene_: this problem was pointed out various times already
(15:18:04) _rene_: start upload early. source is equally important than the binaries.
(15:18:11) _rene_: the source could have already been there for long
(15:18:33) _rene_: don't forget saturdays/sundays are also days - especially important when there's rc/release builds to upload.
(15:19:10) _Nesshof_: _rene_: I got all your points and buy them but lets proceed to the next topics
(15:19:13) _Nesshof_: I would like to suggest a change for the 3.2 schedule
(15:19:16) ***_rene_ doesn't see an improvement over times from when we first discussed this
(15:19:57) ***_Nesshof_ would like to see next release with new DSCM
(15:20:06) _rene_: I don't care.
(15:20:18) _Nesshof_: we also already slipped with this release
(15:20:21) _rene_: what I do care is a good release as early as possible
(15:20:30) _rene_: and 3.2 already has two important fixes planned for and should come asap.
(15:20:44) _rene_: .oO ( crashes when accessibility on GNOME enabled )
(15:20:56) _rene_: .oO ( "uno" crashes randomly )
(15:21:12) rtimm: _Nesshof_: what's your proposal?
(15:21:50) mdamboldt: _rene_: Are you talking about DEV300 only when mentioning a11y crash on Gnome?
(15:21:55) _rene_: of course, I am also happy when those two get into 3.1.1
(15:21:56) _Nesshof_: to branch off for 3.2 in September
(15:22:07) _rene_: mdamboldt: that crash has been there forever. just that noone cared
(15:22:25) _rene_: mdamboldt: of those who maintain the code. it's fixed on DEV300 only, yes :(
(15:22:34) _Nesshof_: all feature for 3.2 release should be integrated before this "branch off" date
(15:23:22) _rene_: mdamboldt: at least since 2.3...
(15:23:27) MechtiIde: _rene_, do you have an issue number?
(15:23:41) _Nesshof_: there will be no more bugfixing phase after that branch off anymore, we will fallover to showstopper modus then immediatly
(15:24:07) _Nesshof_: doing on the branch then also the "usual" l10n work
(15:24:25) _rene_:
(15:24:36) IZBot: issue 86443: Word processor DEFECT RESOLVED FIXED P2 Gnome Accessibility "on" causes OOo Writer to crash on new doc from
(15:25:00) _rene_: people usually don't bring this into context to accessibility...
(15:25:36) rtimm: _Nesshof_: so no difference any more between feature freeze' and 'code freeze'? OK, I'm fine with that. One 'branch off' date and that's it.
(15:25:38) _rene_: The other one's + merged
(15:25:47) rtimm: Simplicity rules
(15:25:57) _rene_: (hopefully fixed by
(15:26:03) IZBot: issue 97975: udk PATCH VERIFIED FIXED P3 unoexe.bin can crash in a thread that exits after main does
(15:28:04) _Nesshof_: _rene_: aren't these candidates for a 3.1.1 release then ?
(15:28:50) VolkerMe: _Nesshof_: We should have in mind the 3.2.1. Its bugfixing should start not too short before christmas or we will see more delay then.
(15:29:07) Stefan___b: There is no 3.1.1 target yet. I believe it is time to introduce it.
(15:29:25) MechtiIde: _Nesshof_, I agree for 3.1.1
(15:29:45) _Nesshof_: VolkerMe: if we branch off in late September I will then expect the actual release by end of November/begin of December
(15:29:45) MechtiIde: because they are already fixed and verified
(15:30:03) _Nesshof_: VolkerMe: 3.2.1 release then would be around Feb 2010
(15:30:28) VolkerMe: _Nesshof_: Would be better, ok.
(15:30:34) _Nesshof_: Stefan___b: I will introduce 3.1.1 this week
(15:30:42) mdamboldt: Both are 3.1.1 issues
(15:30:43) Stefan___b: _Nesshof_: thx.
(15:31:30) _Nesshof_: rtimm: RE duties ?
(15:33:18) rtimm: _Nesshof_: next build on OOO310, if one should be needed, would be done by Oliver (obo)
(15:33:37) rtimm: Ivo (ihi) currently is working on DEV300
(15:33:51) _Nesshof_: anything else for today ?
(15:33:52) _rene_: _Nesshof_: yes
(15:34:39) _rene_: mdamboldt: ok, will you set the target?
(15:35:44) mdamboldt: _rene_: As soon as they are available...
(15:36:02) _rene_: 15:30 < _Nesshof_> Stefan___b: I will introduce 3.1.1 this week
(15:36:10) _rene_: why "this week"?
(15:36:20) Stefan___b: because last week is over?
(15:36:36) _rene_: come on. you know what I mean.
(15:36:48) _rene_: why wait for some time in this week when it can be done now?
(15:37:09) _rene_: same as the upload problem: let's wait to do the source tarballs on Monday
(15:37:29) _rene_: sure.. ;)
(15:40:56) _Nesshof_: mdamboldt: 3.1.1 target is now avail.
(15:41:16) Stefan___b: _rene_: [15:39] <_Nesshof_> mdamboldt: 3.1.1 target is now avail.
(15:41:23) _Nesshof_: anything else for today ?
(15:41:23) _rene_: Stefan___b: thanks, but I can read
(15:41:35) Stefan___b: Oh. Didnt know :-)
(15:41:53) _Nesshof_: anything else for today ?
(15:42:21) MechtiIde: not for today and before the release
(15:42:47) _Nesshof_: ok, by
(15:42:54) UweL: bye
(15:42:58) mdamboldt: bye
(15:43:00) VolkerMe: bye
(15:43:01) UweL hat den Raum verlassen (quit: "ChatZilla 0.9.83 [Firefox 3.0.5/2008120122]").
(15:43:04) Stefan___b: Bye!
(15:43:12) ja_: bye bye

Personal tools