ReleaseStatus Minutes 2009-01-26 IRC log

From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Revision as of 14:48, 26 January 2009 by JoostAndrae (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

(14:59:51) bettina-h [n=Bettina_@] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:00:02) ja_: Moin
(15:00:09) MechtiIde: hello
(15:00:28) UweL [n=chatzill@nat/sun/x-a320beffa3b3c6b0] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:01:24) kai_a [] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:01:54) _Nesshof_afk_ heißt jetzt _Nesshof_
(15:02:53) mla [n=ml93712@] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:02:54) _Nesshof_: 3.0.1 release status ?
(15:02:58) mla: hi
(15:03:09) mdamboldt [] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:03:31) ja_: en-US and de builds have been uploaded to ../stable and ../localized/de
(15:03:50) Stefan___b_away [] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:04:02) Stefan___b_away heißt jetzt Stefan___b
(15:04:18) Stefan___b: Moin!
(15:04:25) bettina-h: Hi
(15:04:39) ja_: I'll add Bouncer entries later for en-US after I checked the distribution status
(15:05:42) _Nesshof_: so we are ready to release tomorrow tuesday noon ?
(15:05:54) ja_: I hope so
(15:06:10) _Nesshof_: anything else regarding 3.0.1
(15:06:41) MechtiIde: _Nesshof_, Linux (RPM/DEB) (64 bit 32-bit) WIN w/oJRE ok
(15:06:41) MechtiIde: for GErman
(15:06:41) _Nesshof_: ok, 3.1 release status then
(15:09:00) _Nesshof_: code freeze for 3.1 this week
(15:09:24) _Nesshof_: still quite many cws for 3.1
(15:10:07) _Nesshof_: I have nothing else for 3.1 today
(15:10:35) _Nesshof_: we seem to miss RE today
(15:11:01) _Nesshof_: does anybody knows about release engineering duties ?
(15:11:21) _Nesshof_: anything else for today ?
(15:11:28) _Nesshof_: _rene_: ping
(15:11:36) MechtiIde: the issue I described in the wiki
(15:12:32) MechtiIde: therefore I couldn't give the ok for the German langpacks
(15:12:38) _rene_: _Nesshof_: pong
(15:12:48) _Nesshof_: issue 92147 ?
(15:12:54) ja_: RE duties: DEV300_m40 by Vladimir Glazunov and DEV300_m41 by Kurt Zenker
(15:12:55) IZBot: Installation DEFECT STARTED P2 no dict DE in Installation Packages
(15:13:08) MechtiIde: _Nesshof_, yes
(15:13:09) _Nesshof_: _rene_: ja_ we need to introduce a new sourcetarball
(15:13:18) _rene_: uargh
(15:13:29) _rene_: why the f..? :)
(15:14:10) ja_: The source tarballs have already been uploaded to stable
(15:14:20) _Nesshof_: in the testautomation, which is an optional module for building ooo
(15:14:26) _Nesshof_: _rene_: for 3.1
(15:14:32) _rene_: ah
(15:14:40) _rene_: *relax again*
(15:14:51) _Nesshof_: although, it also might an issue for you in 3.0.1
(15:14:59) _rene_: yes, a extra -testautomation tarball might make sense
(15:15:13) _rene_: _Nesshof_: well, testautomation is not in the OOo3 CVS checkout :)
(15:15:17) _Nesshof_: msc_sun reported that there are some more binaries checked in
(15:15:46) _Nesshof_: so in the first step I would move it to an own module
(15:15:55) _Nesshof_: and sort out then the binaries
(15:15:58) _rene_: k
(15:16:06) _Nesshof_: just a heads up for 3.1
(15:16:24) _Nesshof_: ok, back to MechtiIdes issue
(15:17:07) _Nesshof_: I think the issue is that ingo move the target from 3.1 to 3.2 ?
(15:17:38) ja_: _Nesshof_: then let's discuss this offline to get the packaging script modified to get the testautomation part seperated into a new tarball
(15:17:41) MechtiIde: it is the second movingto a later time
(15:17:53) _Nesshof_: ja_: yes
(15:18:14) _rene_: the packaging script probably needs to be adapted anyway for m40 :)
(15:18:23) _rene_: config_office gone, file in toplevel etc :)
(15:18:56) Stefan___b: The summary lacks "Language Pack" - the integration of dicts in language packs. And if this is "changed" for DE, it must be for all other laguages too.
(15:19:20) MechtiIde: yes
(15:20:46) Stefan___b: I believe such sript change is NOT a two-line no-brainer. Thus 3.2 sounds meaningful to me. After all, the workaround is not tooo hard.
(15:20:46) _rene_: _Nesshof_: btw, I have to say I don't like the removal of the whole test, but anyway.. :)
(15:20:47) rtimm [n=Ruediger@] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:21:03) ***_Nesshof_ is quering for ingos remaining issues
(15:21:24) _Nesshof_: rtimm: I already asked for RE duties
(15:22:00) MechtiIde: Stefan___b, not to hard for us but for the user in the outside
(15:22:42) _Nesshof_: ingo has no other priorities for 3.1 so there's nothing we can move
(15:23:03) _Nesshof_: also ingo said that this is some effort to implement
(15:23:28) _Nesshof_: so it seems to be quite logical that he move that target that close before release
(15:23:50) _Nesshof_: we now need to talk about whether we consider this as a blocker or not
(15:25:23) of_sun: Did we ever have had dicts in lang packs?
(15:25:43) Stefan___b: There is several links in the office UI pointing to "new dictionaries here". Those who can read and click shall be able to find a solution.
(15:25:50) Stefan___b: of_sun: AFAIK: No.
(15:26:12) of_sun: So it will be a new feature?
(15:26:16) MechtiIde: but much more dicts in the Core
(15:26:38) Stefan___b: of_sun, MechtiIde: Both ids correct.
(15:27:10) MechtiIde: we have remove many dicts from Core but didn't put them in the langpacks
(15:27:38) MechtiIde: that is the problem which we IMO have to discuss
(15:27:49) Stefan___b: I understand "Language pack" as "something to support my language" and understand many "out there" do that, too.
(15:28:10) Stefan___b: But a new process is a new process.
(15:28:27) _rene_: _Nesshof_: a propos licenses, i was rewriting debian/copyright to a new standardized format in Debian and noticed THIRDPARTYLICENSE.htmls content is grossly obsolete, old, contains long-removed stuff, doesn't contain new stuff, has old licenses for existing stuff etc :-(
(15:29:41) Stefan___b: Call it feature. Requires ressources that are not there. This close to code freeze we shall focus on a "good" (What's that?) and timely 3.1 release.
(15:29:42) MechtiIde: I know that we are to near of the code freeze of 3.1. But I think we should decide that this is very important and a must
(15:29:50) _rene_: _Nesshof_: will give you a list when I am thtough it. but we should add as a new cws policy that THIRDPARTYLICENSE.html should be kept up-to-date in the cws changing the thirdparty module :)
(15:30:13) Stefan___b: For this problem, there is aan easy workaround (YES, once you know it). Thus Ibelieve there will be much bigger stoppers to catch...
(15:30:24) _Nesshof_: _rene_: I would be interesting in reviewing the list before discussing a policy
(15:31:06) _Nesshof_: MechtiIde: I agree that his is the behavior the user will expect
(15:31:45) _rene_: and which also is with the intention of the langpacks concept
(15:31:48) MechtiIde: if we decided that this isn't a stopper I think we have to decide it as a must for the next release
(15:31:57) Stefan___b: MechtiIde: +1
(15:32:30) of_sun: MechtiIde: +1
(15:32:37) bettina-h: +1
(15:33:10) _rene_: ...and the next release is 3.1 :P
(15:33:14) _rene_: +1 ;-)
(15:33:15) MechtiIde: and it can't (re)move again
(15:33:26) _rene_: (I can live with 3.2 :) )
(15:33:40) of_sun: If there is a technical solution....
(15:33:50) _Nesshof_: MechtiIde: we have issue 89394
(15:33:57) IZBot: gsl ENHANCEMENT STARTED P3 Start Center : allow the localization of the links
(15:33:59) _Nesshof_: issue 91724
(15:34:05) IZBot: Installation ENHANCEMENT STARTED P3 Support in Java GUI Installer for debian based systems
(15:34:07) _Nesshof_: and issue 92147
(15:34:16) IZBot: Installation DEFECT STARTED P2 no dict DE in Installation Packages
(15:34:35) _Nesshof_: which seem important installation issues for 3.2
(15:35:01) _Nesshof_: do we all agree that issue 92147 is the most important ?
(15:35:07) MechtiIde: 91724 for me -1
(15:35:08) IZBot: Installation DEFECT STARTED P2 no dict DE in Installation Packages
(15:35:14) MechtiIde: the others +1
(15:35:20) _rene_: yes
(15:35:25) of_sun: 91724 seems to be not so important, more nice to have.
(15:35:57) _rene_: 91724 most important, 89394 second and 91724 last
(15:36:11) MechtiIde: _rene_, no
(15:36:23) _rene_: eh, cut'n'waste error
(15:36:32) MechtiIde: 92147 most important, 89394 second and 91724 last
(15:36:51) _rene_: that's what I meant :)
(15:37:46) of_sun: No one screams for a GUI installer for debs.
(15:37:53) _Nesshof_: ja_: can you please note this as a proposal into the minutes so that ingo and localizazion teams have a chance to comment on this suggrested priority ?
(15:37:53) MechtiIde: just for the record ;-)
(15:37:57) _rene_: of_sun: yep
(15:38:40) _rene_: in fact, no one screamsn for GUI installers for Linux at all, but.... ;-)
(15:39:10) _rene_: (except clueless users, where resources are better used by teaching them basics or at least getting them to learn basics by not providing a GUI installer)
(15:39:36) _rene_: it's surprising how many Ubuntu/Fedora users have no clue how to use dpkg/rpm :-(
(15:40:05) _rene_: people on windows also know they need setup.exe and a mouse :-)
(15:40:25) ja_: _Nesshof_: done
(15:40:27) _Nesshof_: ok, anything elase for today ?
(15:40:29) MechtiIde: IMO then it will be a must that the GUI installer look at a distri version and install it before installing vanilla
(15:40:31) _Nesshof_: ja_: thanks
(15:40:55) _rene_: MechtiIde: s/install/deinstall/.
(15:41:05) MechtiIde: _rene_, yes
(15:41:07) _rene_: MechtiIde: and that it cannot meaningfully do.
(15:41:34) _rene_: except when it has special-casing for all possible distros
(15:41:51) _rene_: and get updated for each distros' new packages/packaging change/policy/whatever :)
(15:42:11) _Nesshof_: ok, by
(15:42:23) MechtiIde: _rene_, and so on ;-)
(15:42:52) ja_: bye bye
(15:42:53) _rene_: besides that it needs root to do so
(15:43:07) _rene_: a) GUI as root is bad
(15:43:25) _rene_: b) if you want a install for the user (non-root) you can't remove the packages anyway
(15:43:49) of_sun: bye
(15:44:10) mla: bye
(15:44:12) mla hat den Raum verlassen
(15:44:14) bettina-h: bye
(15:44:19) mdamboldt hat den Raum verlassen
(15:44:33) Stefan___b: Bye bye!

Personal tools