|OOo Marketing Project
Please view the guidelines
Strategic Marketing Plan Pages:
OOo Mission Statement
This page has been created so that community members can help develop a new mission statement for OOo for 2008 and beyond.
What we have now
As a reminder, this is what we have now:
To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format.
What the Mission Statement should include
What should/could the Statement include?
- openness (source and standards)
- against bloat and for extensions using a componentized architecture that can be enhanced by users as they like
- a UNO architecture enabling infinite extensibility by users
- core technology in C++ with Java and other languages
- occupying both mobile and fixed environments
- tablet like devices as well as thin clients and of course desktops
- Social: it declares that OOo is to be the productivity platform for all users, everywhere
- breaking down the digital divide with productivity tools for all
- preservation of digitally endangered languages
- fostering an ecosystem where end users, professional support people, and developers can interact
Proposals for a Mission Statement
Please volunteer your ideas here:
OpenOffice.org enables participation on a worldwide basis by providing a high-quality Free Software productivity suite and a platform on which anybody can develop applications that suits its needs. By allowing the creation and integration of extensions, the features of OpenOffice.org can be easily expanded and enriched according to everyone's desire and needs.
Moreover, OpenOffice.org uses the OpenDocument Format by default and a comprehensive toolkit centered around the use of open standards the ODF toolkit. In doing so, OpenOffice.org does not just free everyobody's documents, it also empowers people to participate in a global and multicultural conversation, the OpenOffice.org project.
The OpenOffice.org project is a global community of people who design, develop, support, and promote world class open source office software. Our software will be built from accessible components, founded in open standards, be easily extensible, and freely available to all mother-language communities and on all leading computing platforms.
(I like John's proposal, because it is actually quite short and summarize it all. Here's my amended proposal then.)
The OpenOffice.org project is a global community of people who design, develop, support, and promote world class FLOSS productivity suite. Our software will be built from accessible components, founded in open standards, be easily extensible, and freely available to all mother-language communities and on all leading computing platforms, thus changing the state of the art in office suites to full participation enablers.