Loook is a simple Python tool that searches for text strings in OpenOffice.org (and StarOffice 6.0 or later) files. It works under Linux, Windows and Macintosh. AND, OR and phrase searches are supported. It doesn't create an index, but searching should be fast enough unless you have really many files.
If you experience problems (e.g. files not found) please start loook.py from a shell and check if there are warnings or errors.
Download Loook 0.6.5: loook.zip (12KB, released 2006-07-16)
Requirements: Python 2.2 or later and Tkinter (this is usually part of Python and doesn't have to be installed separately)
License: Loook is freely available under the GPL.
- 0.6.4 to 0.6.5: Fixed problems with filenames that contain special (non-ASCII) characters -- thanks to Roman Shiryaev
- 0.6.3 to 0.6.4: Fixed starting OpenOffice.org on Windows -- thanks to Matthias Hüning
- 0.6.2 to 0.6.3: Added support for the new file formats of OpenOffice.org 2.x; sort results by file name; made saving configuration more robust
- 0.6.1 to 0.6.2: Should now also work on Windows98
- 0.6 to 0.6.1: Search directory can now be set via command line, e.g.:
loook.py ~/Documents term1 term2 The number of searched OpenOffice.org files is now printed in the status bar.
- 0.5 to 0.6: loook.py now remembers your directory settings (path to OOo and search path).