Firefox OpenOffice.org extension
Firefox OpenOffice.org Add-on
This is an add-on for the Firefox 1.x, 2.x and 3.x webbrowser. It adds a new main menu with list of OpenOffice.org related URLs, plus a context menu with links to the OOo Advanced Search page, Google, OOo IssueTtracker and the Wikipedia page.
Firefox Add-on Installation
Download the Firefox Add-on from the Extension Download
- Make sure that a Mozilla Firefox version 1.x, 2.x or 3.x is running
- Drag & Drop the Ooo_extension.xpi file into the browser window area or you could load the Ooo_extension.xpi alternatively via File - Open File
- Wait few second and click the install button. The extension is not signed yet.
- Restart your Firefox browser.
The additional main menu provides a list of useful OpenOffice.org related URLs. Just use it as any other Firefox menu.
- too many unstructured items in first level (11).
- Recommendation: add dividers and reorganize menu tree
- terminology not consistent with ooo's website
- Recommendation: update terminology and do not use abbreviations
- menu icons too similar and not complete.
- Recommendation: don't use any icons for the extension
Proposal for v1.1
- bold is used for updated strings and URLs
- green is used for new items
- Proposed Menu Structure
The OpenOffice.org search context menu sends the currently selected text to
- OpenOffice.org Advanced Search Page
- Start a query on Google.com
- Queries for a bug on IssueZilla
- Wikipedia (English)
- Send all four search requests
A new browser tab opens with the result of the query.
Open a web page and select a word for which you want to run a query. Click the right key and choose from the context menu 'OpenOffice.org Context search'. A new sub menu shows up. Choose now the search engine for the query.
Proposal for v1.1
- Is it possible to move the menu command between "Search Google" and "View Selection Source"?
- The strings for v1.0.5 are:
- Search OpenOffice.org
- Site Search
- With Google
- At Wikipedia