New features planned for OpenOffice.org
- 1 Intro
- 2 Current Release
- 3 Planned Features for 3.0 Release
- 4 Planned Features for 3.x Release
This page is a roadmap for the features planned in future OpenOffice.org releases.
For older releases, see the archives.
Caution: The items listed here are under continuous development and the dates are therefore subject to change!
See also the Calc Usability Activities page on this wiki.
Features for the 2.4 Release (March 2008)
For a comprehensive list, see the New Features in OOo 2.4 page.
- Block selection
- Support for backward references in Find & Replace
- New ways to change language for spell check
- Display Trendline equations (GullFOSS article, OOoNinja article)
- Scale and Intervals in Chart
- Options for Bar Charts
- Article: Chart2 features in 2.4 (this wiki)
- Article: New Chart features in OpenOffice.org 2.4 (GullFOSS)
- views in HSQLDB database can be edited
- property browser: query designer now also available for list box content
- property browser: query designer also available for "native" SQL commands
- Base now supports also MS Access 2007 files (*.accdb)
- Relative links now available in PDF export filter, plus other features added.
- PDF/A export
- Create relative links in PDFs
- Convert document references in PDF targets
Planned Features for 3.0 Release
- Drawing Engine
- new Notes2 module for displaying notes in the margins
- Office 12 (.docx) import filter
- ODF documents' metadata editor
- Preview of hyperlinks inside the document
- MediaWiki Extension
- Office 12 (.xlsx) Import Filter
- Compliance with ODF formula specification
- GETPIVOTDATA function
- Live sharing of Calc workbooks
- Office 12 (.pptx) Import Filter
- Table support in Impress
- Presenter Screen
- Interactive cropping of images
- API enhancements
- GUI enhancements - The GUI should be redesigned to get a more modern look. A good guideline is the new IBM Lotus Symphony that uses dynamic panels. This is better than MS Office's "ribbon", at least for documents, because it saves space on the top (normally documents are vertical).
- Option page
- Better VBA? 
- Windows_Vista Enhancements:
- new File Dialog
- visualization of Meta data in Explorer
- Web services
- Web Services wizard?
- OpenOffice.org Repackaging
- Repackaging step one 
- New Features in OpenOffice.org 3.0 (March 18, 2008)
Planned Features for 3.x Release
- XForms Enhancements